Where were the LEFT and the protesters

nero_bolt
Community Member

Where were the LEFT and the protesters when Gillard and the failed labor govt cut to 2.3 BILLION from  university funding in 2013

The left and the rabble were very silent and no where to be seen

Have the left wing student movement had 6 years of built up anger to vent as soon as we get a LNP government? Think so as you barley heard a murmur from then under the failed Rudd/Gillard/Rudd govt

So it was all OK in the world of the left to cut 2.3 BILLION from uni education, seems so 

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Where were the LEFT and the protesters

@bsal6160 wrote:

University education is a priviledge NOT a right. User to pay for the priviledge not the general tax paying public I say.

And so say all of youse.

*privilege

“I’ve got my purse and my gift and my gloves and my selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor and my monoamine oxidase inhibitor and I have my anti-anxiety disco biscuits and I am ready to go. I am really ready!” Sheila
Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

to bsal:

University education is a priviledge NOT a right. User to pay for the priviledge not the general tax paying public I say.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I disagree that getting a uni education is a privilege and not a right.

This was the thinking many, many years ago amongst the wealthy and elite of the world. Only the rich were allowed to be educated.

Learning and sharing knowledge is a right for all humankind.

If your mentality and thinking were alive and well today in our society we would have no schools, no libraries, no internet.......

This Liberal government is also saying that having a job is a privilege and not a right.

Beats me why you sought to choose this post as a solution nero. Not a very educated choice IMO.

Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

Privilege will be the key word Buzz
Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

@nero_wulf wrote:

@debra9275 wrote:
Users do pay already, it's called HECS I have a daughter currently attending uni. She will repay her debt when she has finished her degree.

Incorrect she wont have to pay a cent until she reaches 51K in wages per year so please get it correct..... 

It isn't compulsory to pay it back until they earn $51k, that doesn't mean students dont make voluntary payments before then.

Some student's (rich) parents pay lump sums off their child's student loans.

Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

No, the students don't have to pay back their loan if they don't earn over the threshold for it to be deducted from their salary

If they die, it is wiped. If they move overseas, and never work in Australia again, there is no way of making it compulsory for them to pay it back either. imo more bright minds from Australia with Uni degrees will move overseas to work. as a result of these Budget changes.

However, now with the Budget changes the total owed will be racking up interest of about 6% p.a.  so , if a student doesn't get a job earning over 50 000 for a year or more, it will be a lot higher debt to pay off. Especially as the Uni fees are going up by a high amount.

Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

Cuts to Uni funding

Is not the same as:

Deregulated Uni fees

The change of applying market interest rates to student loans

Both of these have long term effects on the graduates.

Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

The education union and the students did protest those cuts to the increased funding the unis were promised. They supported the greens campaign because they were against the cuts.

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

Actually there were massive protests at the time. As they are every year when cust are made.

But this change goes beyond cuts and is a fundamental change to the philosophy of educational rights in this country.

And besides - cuts usually affect the administration of a university that end up being absorbed. This change is a direct hit at university students.

Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

martini  - And besides - cuts usually affect the administration of a university that end up being absorbed. This change is a direct hit at university students.

Yes, OP clutching at straws trying to take the focus of these newly announced, directs hits on university students I feel.

Message 30 of 37
Latest reply