Why can't we just make these types of dogs illegal? ?:|

A 49 year old jogger is lucky to be alive after being mauled by some loose American Staffordshires this week. He was so badly injured that the paramedics could see through his chest to his heart. One of the dogs didn't even let go of the mans torso when a passerby trying to help smashed the dog over the head with a concrete pot.

Here is the article: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/dog-owner-fined-four-months-before-jogger-attacked-20130527-2n6p8.html

Yes I know any dog could be feral if in the wrong hands or if it is neglected. And yes I know that the stats show that a significant number of reported dog incidences come from dogs other than the dangerous breeds.

BUT! The ones that do the most damage are the one that bite and hang on while doing the death shake. And those breeds are well known. In NSW by far the biggest rate of attack occurs from breeds such as the animals in the article. 

So why not just ban them?

And why oh why would any sane person think that this type of dog is an acceptable pet? Particularly if they have children?

Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Why can't we just make these types of dogs illegal? ?:|

@crystal**flake wrote:

One breed I am wary of is the Chihuahua

You should meet mine, mine are known for their good nature.  They are sweet and loving, a couple melt when they meet children.

That's good. Maybe I have just been in contact with the wrong Chihuahuas then.

photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 51 of 78
Latest reply

My Aunts chi's are vicious little mutts. I get to cuddle them and play with them when they are puppies, but when they grow up thats the end of the friendship. I was told the other day that dog judges are warned about Chi's and trained on how to handle them, but not any of the other breeds  Smiley LOL

Message 52 of 78
Latest reply

The only dog I have been bitten by was a red cattle dog (I'm not silly enough to put my hand near my aunts chihuahua's)

My niece was bitten on the face by a cocker spaniel.

My other niece got a graze on her nose from a groendahl

Message 53 of 78
Latest reply

Don't know how many times its been said but we are looking at the problem on the wrong end of the lead!
Staffy's are the "in" breed at the moment 10 years ago it was Rotty's and 20 years ago it was German Shepard's
Message 54 of 78
Latest reply

hello muggs me lovely.

The rescue groups are full of staffy cross dogs.

My local pound is full of hunting dogs, bull arabs, danes, mastiffs, staffies.

The owners get them for the image without a thought to the animals temperamnet, what its needs will be etc.

Some of these dogs are huge , and young staffies are energetic to say the least.

Message 55 of 78
Latest reply

I personally think that if a dog goes a judge on the table they should be nil awarded.
Message 56 of 78
Latest reply

i knew a bull terrier and a rottweiler once, they both were lovely dogs, only concerned to be where everyone else is and be petted/played with.

these lassy type dogs are snappy bleeps.

Message 57 of 78
Latest reply

Hello Pimpy โค๏ธ
Only a couple of years ago it was Siberian Husky and Malamutes, people don't realise the amount of work and exercise these breeds need, not only that but for some reason a good percentage of them are very head shy, they don't like being patted on the head or reached over. Lots of bites happen because people don't do their homework and go for the "in" breed thinking they will make money breeding them!
Message 58 of 78
Latest reply

breeding huskies in australia is animal cruelty.

would you like to live in a 50 degree sauna for your entire life?

Message 59 of 78
Latest reply

I was nearly going to mention them Mugs. The local lost and found pets page on Facebook has huskys on it every other day, and often the same dogs getting out . I did some reading on the breed, and yep, not the most suitable pet for many, but they are just the cutest puppies.

People need to look more in to the breeds before deciding on a dog. Probably a third of the dogs in the local pound are signovers, which means the owners have surrendered them. I guess the novelty wore off once the puppy got big and started chewing up things, nipping the kids etc. So sad.

Message 60 of 78
Latest reply