Will it make any difference?

idlewhile
Community Member

Cutting the head off a monolithic left biased ABC by getting rid of Scott, one wonders if it will make any difference to the leftist groupthink we see every day from the ABC.

We have waited for Turnbull to do something about it but he seems too reluctent to "offend" anybody from the ABC, why? because he needs them more than any other  Conservative MP to further his march to the lodge.

He has done nothing to pull them into gear, he has done nothing but let them run their own biased and aggressive war against the Libs since the very first minute they won office. The only time in Australia's history where a new govt. didn't get a honeymoon period.

They gave Rudd more than 2 years, covered for him the whole time whislt knowing he was out of control and cosseted Gillard the whole of her term even though she and her govt were  incompetent and dysfunctional:

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull says the search is on for a new ABC managing director to replace Mark Scott, ruling out his term being extended.

Firing a shot at the ABC, Mr Turnbull said its journalists were left-leaning and described high-profile presenters Leigh Sales and Emma Alberici’s budget interviews with his colleagues, the Treasurer and Finance Minister, as “aggressive”.

In an interview with conservative News Corp columnist Andrew Bolt on his Sunday morning Network Ten program, The Bolt Report, Mr Turnbull responded to reports that Mr Scott wanted to extend his term beyond next year and said the board was searching for a candidate to replace him.

“It’s not up to him to extend his term,” Mr Turnbull said.

“The ABC is currently engaged in a search for his successor. Mark Scott’s tenure as managing director of the ABC is coming to an end and they’re looking for a successor.”

The ABC was criticised this week for its post-budget interviews with senior government ministers.

On Lateline, Alberici accused Finance Minister Mathias Cormann of trotting out nonsense figures before initially cutting him off when he attempted to respond to her allegation. And on the 7.30 program, Sales was criticised for continually interrupting Treasurer Joe Hockey when he was answering questions.

Mr Turnbull yesterday admitted he found the interviews ­“aggressive”.

“You mention two interviews, Leigh Sales’ interview with Joe Hockey and Emma Alberici’s with Mathias Cormann: they were both very aggressive interviews,” he said.

“I would say as somebody who used to interview people for a ­living, both as a journalist and then as a barrister and of course as a politician, I would say that a more effective interviewing style is one that is less aggressive and more forensic. But that’s in effect an editorial opinion.”

Tony Abbott acknowledged the hostile nature of one ABC interview during the week.

“Michael, I know you are determined to critical. I know you want to be as critical as you can possibly be,” Mr Abbott said to ABC journalist Michael Brissen­den during a conversation about why the government had chosen not to adopt Labor’s superannuation tax.

Asked if the Prime Minister was right in a broad sense about bias at the public broadcaster, Mr Turnbull said the ABC, like most media organisations, was determined to hold the government to account and said politicians always felt the media was too critical of them.

“I do think the ABC and the journalists of the ABC, if you like, lean more to the left than to the right, but you would say that about most journalists. Clearly that’s going to be more obvious when we’re in government and clearly the job of the media is to hold the government to account,” he said.

While rejecting suggestions specific ABC journalists named by Mr Bolt were left-leaning, Mr Turnbull said the ABC did not have the right to be biased.

He said there was a tendency for directors at media companies to refuse to get involved in editorial matters. “Well, I’m sorry, with the ABC, there’s an Act of Parliament that says you should,” he said.

“The responsibility for ensuring that the ABC’s news and information services are balanced and objective and impartial and accurate is in Section 8 of the Act and that responsibility lies with the board of directors. I have been assiduous both publicly and privately in reminding the directors of the ABC that they have to get involved.”

Yesterday, the ABC denied accusations its presenters were left-leaning or partisan in their approach. A spokesman for the public broadcaster said journalists were subject to editorial policies set by the board and based on the highest standards of journalism.

“We believe our broadcasters do a good job in meeting these high standards under the unique pressure of live interviews,” he said. “The ABC investigates all complaints, undertakes program reviews and commissions independent audits to ensure these standards are met.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/turnbull-says-search-is-on-for-abc-boss-to-replace-ma...

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Will it make any difference?

how can Mark Scott be a leftist when he was an advisor for the LNP Greiner govt.??

also if you read what I posted about him back there, he is a big advocate for free speech ( which I believe he gives us)

must be why the right wing don't like him  Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

@idlewhile wrote:

The time has really come to sell off the monolith, why are we paying over a $billion dollars a year for these leftist's who have embedded themselves into the cushy public owned entity for decades.

We need the money to pay for the next term of the NDIS, you know the one that Labor only funded for 4 years? I don't see why, in this day and age of the internet and every other news media out there that we are still stuck in the 50's paying over a $billion and rising so that these fat cats can spout their leftist groupthink bias.

The wages paid to some of them is obscene and an insult to taxpayers, hard working taxpayers.

maybe if tax avoidance by multi nationals like murdoch was stopped our economy would be in better shape

Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

no, just thinking about "fairness" and the poor state of our economy

Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

Does the ABC drive the engine of our economy? does the ABC employ hundreds of thousands of Australians?  does the ABC engender hundreds of thousands of ancillary companies which in turn employ hundreds of thousands of Australians? no, it doesn't, in fact it's the opposite, it's a monolith that greedily wants more $Billions of taxpayers dollars so it can run its left wing agenda, so it can stroke its base of inner city elites who have no idea just what it takes to earn a living.

So again, you really have no idea do you, you just spout and regurgitate what the left want you to, hence the class war rhetoric we see from you and others on here.

No clothes.

Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

the ABC does employ people- ( i don't know how many though) isn't that one of your complaints??

it's a monolith that greedily wants more $Billions of taxpayers dollars so it can run its left wing agenda, so it can stroke its base of inner city elites who have no idea just what it takes to earn a living.

and that's just pure embellished nonsense

Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

no I'm not- I just see value in having not all media  privately owned. Years ago a friend of mine made a series that was picked up by SBS, it became quite popular and was purchased all around the world, the UK, the US , even Russia adapted their own version of it.

that's one of the merits I see. it enables Australians to be creative and also generates work here for a lot of people

Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

I repeat, you really have no idea of the subject. The ABC has a grasp on Australia media outlets that  sees them in the position to drive debate in this country. They have a stranglehold on radio, TV, online media that all other media outlets are prohibited from.

I will finish arguing with you on this, you just cannot see past your bias and left wing ideology which sees you make error after error, a waste of my time.

Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

if you don't like freedom of speech, stick to watching sky news and reading the murdoch press then

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

The ABC doesn't hack into missing girls social media accounts."This is the most humbling day of my life" BS,you criminal!!

Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

@debra9275 wrote:

if you don't like freedom of speech, stick to watching sky news and reading the murdoch press then

I rest my case.

Message 30 of 43
Latest reply