Will we be forced into another election in Vic??

I heard on radio this morning that Geoff Shaw is refusing to stand down, He resigned his position as liberal party member for Frankston and became an independant who holds the balance of power for the Napthine Govt.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-18/business-as-usual-for-mp-geoff-shaw-after-being-charged-with-m...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/frankston-mp-geoff-shaw-charged-with-misconduct-20130917-2twji.htm...

interesting times!

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

IS.  Shaw is an independent MP,  and can not be made to "stand down"

nɥºɾ

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

if he is made to stand down...that needs to be enforced without exceptions to the rule

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I suspect that , like the federal examples, the  matter of the alleged offences  committed by  Shaw will be dragged out. However, following on from the Victorian results in the recent federal election the Libs would not be averse to an early State election.

nɥºɾ

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

nɥºɾ

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

@monman12 wrote:

nɥºɾ

is there anything that prevents members being able to stand in the first place ?

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@monman12 wrote:

I suspect that , like the federal examples, the  matter of the alleged offences  committed by  Shaw will be dragged out. However, following on from the Victorian results in the recent federal election the Libs would not be averse to an early State election.

nɥºɾ

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
when were the allegations actually made ? has it already been dragged out ?

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

@monman12 wrote:

nɥºɾ

Is it automatic if he is convicted ?

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@izabsmiling wrote:

@monman12 wrote:

nɥºɾ

Is it automatic if he is convicted ?

I think Frankston will have to elect a new member. i also think labor will take the state back unless they sort it out quickly, because dragging it out a la thomson will bring federal incumbency into play,  past state v federal trends tell us a labor return is likely with the liberal federals in power ( long enough to turn state voters away). When Ted was still premier Victoria looked already to be slipping out of their hands, that's why they knifed him.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

it's hard to know monman, there's a bit of dissatisfaction happening in Vic over the "mandate" to push through the east west tunnel and the development of fisherman's bend. I am happy with my local lib member though

Jethro, I didn't mind Ted, I thought it a shame the way he was dumped

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

So this guy is going to face charges over the misuse of his government vehicle when he used it for business... he has said he paid back the money, an amount of under $2000... 

Gillard paid almost $5000 back after misuse of her vehicle after her partner used the car for business for a very long time and there was no charges made???? And she only made the payment after knowing she was going to be made PM. 

Confusion much!!!!!!

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply