Wine enthusiasts? Am I missing something here?

Okay it's been awhile since I've bought wine to drink. I'm more your scotch drinker but I do love a crisp dry white wine when it's being offered.

So I go into a bottle shop and I can't find a Chablis anywhere. I ask the young 19 year old staff person for help. She had no idea and had never heard of Chablis. Anyway, I felt like Kath & Kim (Carrdonaaay anyone?) and ended up taking her advice and buying a Chardonnay she recommended.

Am I mistaken? I'm sure I used to buy a bottle of "Chablis" a well as Chardonnay. Am I a wine ignoramus?   Cat Sad

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You did.

Tastes and fads change plus certain names can't be used now unless they come from that region of France so that may be a factor.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I googled Chablis. It's a certain "finer" Chardonnay from the Burgundy region of France.

So I'm not a wine noob then 🙂

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

So I'm not a wine noob then Smiley Happy

No, just a p iss pot LOL

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Chablis and chardonnay are both made with chardonnay grapes.I'm not sure if Australian wineries label their wines "chablis'.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@cat_mioux wrote:

Okay it's been awhile since I've bought wine to drink. I'm more your scotch drinker but I do love a crisp dry white wine when it's being offered.

So I go into a bottle shop and I can't find a Chablis anywhere. I ask the young 19 year old staff person for help. She had no idea and had never heard of Chablis. Anyway, I felt like Kath & Kim (Carrdonaaay anyone?) and ended up taking her advice and buying a Chardonnay she recommended.

Am I mistaken? I'm sure I used to buy a bottle of "Chablis" a well as Chardonnay. Am I a wine ignoramus?   Cat Sad

Hi,

I love my whites.

Not sweet but more on the dry side - not a fan of Chardonaaay.

Try for a good Chenin Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc.

You can still purchase Chablis.

Go for the shelves not the cooler.

Have a very Happy Christmas.

Martini Squirrel.gif

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@outdoorhunting1 wrote:

So I'm not a wine noob then Smiley Happy

No, just a p iss pot LOL

I'm so not  Cat LOL

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

outdoor is right about Australian wineries not using French geographical names for winestyles - Chablis, Burgundy, Champagne etc.  We name ours by grape variety or terms like "Classic Dry White".

If you are looking for crisp & dry may I humbly suggest a semillon or semillon/sauv blanc blend, even an Eden Valley or Clare Valley riesling or maybe a Pinot Gris.  There are lots of new varieties on the shelves now and it's worth taking a risk and trying something new (like Garganega)

Chardonnay can be a bit flabby (i.e. un-crisp lol) if it is a cheaper wooded style.  Unwooded will be crisper.

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Cat

You don't need to worry about being a wine snob when you have pct posting like above Smiley LOL

(Only joking pct, good info !)

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@outdoorhunting1 wrote:

Cat

You don't need to worry about being a wine snob when you have pct posting like above Smiley LOL

(Only joking pct, good info !)

Woman LOL

pct the young girl recommended an "unwoody" Chardonnay. One of those newer types, can't remember the name. It cost $15. Not expensive but not super cheap either I assume?

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply