Woman taking up to 800 laxatives a day

Woman taking up to 800 laxatives a day discharged from Adelaide hospital despite skeletal appearance

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-28/rah-discharged-woman-days-before-her-death-from-laxative-abuse...

Her husband must be a complete idiot.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

The poor lady.  She had extreme and dangerous mental health issues .. very sad ....  Smiley Sad 

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Exactly, so her husband and friends should have been asking questions. in all that time did her careing hubby not go to a doctor once where he could have asked questions?

i know doctors cant devulge personal info on patients but he could of had a general chat about his wifes symptoms and was taking huge amounts of laxatives normal for a cancer treatment.

i mean, even a moron would be worried if on the pack it said no more than 3 a day and she was taking 800!

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

I wish I could answer that David.  Anorexia can be very complicated both for the patient and their loved ones.  It can also be very hard to ascertain who is pushing what 'buttons' as the victim of the illness often goes a long way to hide and deny it.

If the doctors are not recognising what is really going on, what hope is there for the patient ... Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

the husband was buying the tablets!

he knew how many she was taking.me, id be worried at 80 a day, at 800 id be frantic for the truth.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

I must have read a different article. She abused all those laxatives and the husband is an idiot? It states, "Mrs La Bella suffered from the factitious disorder Munchausen syndrome where a person repeatedly acts as if they have an illness when they are not really sick" and "The doctor had serious concerns and strongly advised against it but ultimately he sees no reason to detain her under the powers he can implement using an inpatient treatment order" .

Surely the husband and friends were sincere when they thought her frail state was due to cancer. And what was the doctor supposed to do, break the law? This is sad and tragic, but is an example of what can happen when a person has a condition such as Munchausens. I very much feel for the family and friends. They will forever be plagued with the "what if" thoughts, and will probably feel partly responsible.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

What was the Chemist thinking to allow the husband to buy even a packet of laxatives a week let alone multiple packets several times a week. 

He should have questioned the husband and if he was given the cancer story he should have alerted the husband that something was not right and to ask questions of the doctor.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

I must have read a different article. She abused all those laxatives and the husband is an idiot? It states, "Mrs La Bella suffered from the factitious disorder Munchausen syndrome where a person repeatedly acts as if they have an illness when they are not really sick" and "The doctor had serious concerns and strongly advised against it but ultimately he sees no reason to detain her under the powers he can implement using an inpatient treatment order" .

Surely the husband and friends were sincere when they thought her frail state was due to cancer. And what was the doctor supposed to do, break the law? This is sad and tragic, but is an example of what can happen when a person has a condition such as Munchausens. I very much feel for the family and friends. They will forever be plagued with the "what if" thoughts, and will probably feel partly responsible.

The article states the woman's weight was at a critical level and she was near the point of death. What the doctor should have done was section the woman under the mental health act and begin physical treatment and psychological assessment and counselling.

This is what the laws around sectioning are for and would have saved her life. It would have also allowed the family to be made aware of the womans true conditions as it appears they either didnt see, or didnt want to see the real problems. . In my view the doctor was negligent in not sectioning the woman.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the doctor didn't detain the woman against her will?

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

@davidc4430 wrote:

Woman taking up to 800 laxatives a day discharged from Adelaide hospital despite skeletal appearance

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-28/rah-discharged-woman-days-before-her-death-from-laxative-abuse...

Her husband must be a complete idiot.

And she seems to be a complete pill.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply