Woolworths to trial paper shopping bags

but not in all stores

https://au.news.yahoo.com/woolworths-new-move-to-counter-criticism-over-plastic-bag-ban-053059657.ht...

Think most of us would remember the paper shopping bags from the past.

Still, I wonder if there will be some that will object to them for some reason.

Sometimes I say that many things are like being on a giant wheel,

sooner or later they get back to where they started from.

Parking meters, double deck buses, trams/light rail etc have all come, gone and returned,

and now it may be the return of the paper grocery bag.

I still have hopes that someday Microsoft will bring back a modern version of windows 3.1 Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Woolworths to trial paper shopping bags

Hysterically funny...

Everyone remember who it was who forced us to use singl-use plastic bags in the first place? Yep, the same supermarkets who are now trying to paint themselves as all touchy-feely and environmentally-caring by phasing out the plastic bags that wouldn't have existed in the first place had they themselves not brought them in...

Message 11 of 45
Latest reply

100% the supermarkets provided plastic bags.

Nobody for forced to use them though,people did so willing by choice and kept on and on and on doing so

May as well say the bottle shop is there so people are forced to drink

People use/used them because they chose not to bring their own bags.

They could have just as easily told the supermarkets exactly where they could put their plastic bags from the day they were introduced 

Customers kept the demand for them going and are still demanding them now

Message 12 of 45
Latest reply

@joz*garage wrote:

When did they use paper bags in the old days? Must have been before my time

I don't remember them either except in local  general food stores but  that  was     before supermarkets  when i was weeny.  Also remember fish n chips in newspaper.

(Just googled and the first  supermarket  came to Australia in the  1960s.)

Message 13 of 45
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

100% the supermarkets provided plastic bags.

Nobody for forced to use them though,people did so willing by choice and kept on and on and on doing so

May as well say the bottle shop is there so people are forced to drink

People use/used them because they chose not to bring their own bags.

They could have just as easily told the supermarkets exactly where they could put their plastic bags from the day they were introduced 

Customers kept the demand for them going and are still demanding them now

Aldi have never given out plastic bags and they are the fastest growing supermarket in Au

Message 14 of 45
Latest reply

All the Aldi stores I have been in certainly have plastic bags

Not so-called 'single use' ones but ones made of plastic most certainly 

No idea what the charge for the things as I do not use them 

Message 15 of 45
Latest reply

I make heaps of shopping bags out of calico for friends as Christmas gifts;   put a little pretty strip of fabric across the top and bingo, people actually demand them again as the next December approaches .. a quick and economical gift to give (albeit some chocolates also strategically placed in the bag, after all, it is Christmas!).  I don't have to think about what to get these days, they all want the same thing ... Smiley Tongue

If I didn't make them, I'd still buy them as gifts as they are so practical.

Message 16 of 45
Latest reply

My favourite one I have is just about to wear out,maybe a couple of uses left in it if I don't load it up to much

I got that for $5 just before I moved out of Blair Athol,which was 15 years ago and it has carried just about anything and everything since

Message 17 of 45
Latest reply

Does anyone remember the old string bags?

Both my grandmothers used to make them....the whole family had them on hand for whatever purpose they wanted to use them for.

I have one in the laundry cupboard as my duster/rag bag and another one holds the remains of the singlet bags from supermarket shopping although it is almost empty now.   There are several kicking around that I still take shopping.

I must admit to missing the plastic bags to put my frozen foods in.....it saved getting my green bags damp.  And it was recycled into a bin liner for the kitchen bin.

Message 18 of 45
Latest reply

I personally disliked the plastic type bags for frozen food as I found they collected too much icy stuff around the food

I either use the containers I still have from my gran or the silicon type pouches from Biome which can be washed and re-used

When the housemate is away I don't even use the bin as everything I use is either recycled (or 'Redcycled at the supermarket) or composted

then again when he is here, different story as he is all about 'whatever is easiest' 

Message 19 of 45
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

All the Aldi stores I have been in certainly have plastic bags

Not so-called 'single use' ones but ones made of plastic most certainly 

No idea what the charge for the things as I do not use them 

My mistake, I meant they have never given out plastic bags for free

Message 20 of 45
Latest reply