Woolworths to trial paper shopping bags

but not in all stores

https://au.news.yahoo.com/woolworths-new-move-to-counter-criticism-over-plastic-bag-ban-053059657.ht...

Think most of us would remember the paper shopping bags from the past.

Still, I wonder if there will be some that will object to them for some reason.

Sometimes I say that many things are like being on a giant wheel,

sooner or later they get back to where they started from.

Parking meters, double deck buses, trams/light rail etc have all come, gone and returned,

and now it may be the return of the paper grocery bag.

I still have hopes that someday Microsoft will bring back a modern version of windows 3.1 Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Woolworths to trial paper shopping bags

images (44).jpeg  creature.jpg

Message 31 of 45
Latest reply

I've had to restitch the seams on a couple of the reusable bags I have.

Nothing fancy - good old fashioned blanket stitch.

One of the ladies at the checkout picked the bag up and asked "Did you do this?", and when I nodded she said "You're so clever...".

Clever? No, it's called being practical... I'd like to get as much use, for as long as I can, out of the bag... ha ha.

While we're here, chatting, checkout operator, I hear the supermarket is  considering replacing plastic bags with paper bags...

Will that extend as far as the fruit and veg section? That's where I seem to see the most plastic bags, and they're that size that doesn't make them particularly reusable, unless you've got a dog, of course, ha ha...

🙂

Message 32 of 45
Latest reply

@ecar3483 wrote:

That's where I seem to see the most plastic bags, and they're that size that doesn't make them particularly reusable, unless you've got a dog, of course, ha ha...

🙂

Seems it's been awhile since you walked a dog.

Hello - a paper bag would have loop holes by the time you got home. lol

Just an aside - my aim has become increasingly better. lol

Message 33 of 45
Latest reply

Yes, it has been a long time since I've walked a dog, but I think it's in the dog's better interests to have a stable home, and for a long time that was something I couldn't provide.

I hardly think an improvement in your aim would be a boon for the baboon, ha ha...

🙂

Message 34 of 45
Latest reply

C'mon Joe, you're not that young. Or you used to not to do the shopping back in the day. 1970s, 1980s.

Back then, you used to get paper sacks to pack your groceries in.

Now it's like a new concept, an alternative to plastic shopping bags. It's returning full cycle.

They should use recycled paper to make paper shopping bags.

But really, ppl should bring their own shopping carry bags. 

Geez, how hard is it?

I always bring my own bags in the boot of my car. 

At the checkout, I put the grocieries back into the trolley after they've been scanned. Then I pack them into my own bags.

If I don't have my car, and it's just a quick shop, I have foldaway bags in my handbag to bring a few items home.

I do use the produce bags for bin liners, though.

If I didn't have those, I'd just go back to wrapping up my organic rubbish in newspaper.

How hard is it?

Message 35 of 45
Latest reply

Did my own shopping back then, yeah hey, Nope.. can't remember paper bags in the supermarkets, apart from providing them for mushrooms, but then.. I can't remember much in the early 80s.

Signatures suck.
Message 36 of 45
Latest reply

@ecar3483 wrote:

One of the ladies at the checkout picked the bag up and asked "Did you do this?", and when I nodded she said "You're so clever...".

Clever? No, it's called being practical... I'd like to get as much use, for as long as I can, out of the bag... ha ha.

While we're here, chatting, checkout operator, I hear the supermarket is  considering replacing plastic bags with paper bags...

Will that extend as far as the fruit and veg section? That's where I seem to see the most plastic bags, and they're that size that doesn't make them particularly reusable, unless you've got a dog, of course, ha ha...

🙂

I actually use them now for rubbish, have a little bin in the kitchen, then gets thrown in the trolley bin outside.

Signatures suck.
Message 37 of 45
Latest reply

@joz*garage wrote:

@ecar3483 wrote:

🙂

I actually use them now for rubbish, have a little bin in the kitchen, then gets thrown in the trolley bin outside.

Yeah I have a little bin in the kitchen (and bathroom) as well. I use the produce bags from the supermarket to line it. So much for the campaign against plastic rubbish bags, right?

Wer'e kind of locked in to plastic, aren't we?

Message 38 of 45
Latest reply

All this talk about bags for dog poo has reminded me I DO have some single use plastic bags.

They're the elasticised ones that fit my cat's litter tray.  Having spent years in a multi cat household cleaning litter trays without tray liners, I am not willing to give up using these bags for my current cat.

Message 39 of 45
Latest reply

I have a boot full of bags and yes I forget to take them into the shops.

Windy day opened the boot and my one paper bag took off like a kite up ino the sky never to be seen again

just pick up my cats poo with loo paper and flash it down the loo.

Change the tray every week, she only goes over night some times, most times out side.

she does not go far from home thse days

Message 40 of 45
Latest reply