Year 2023

I am finding it so upsetting to watch tv or read the paper anymore. So much gloom and doom and the horrible loss of innocent lives, especially those young children that have been murdered by a family member:-( I see my grandkids and could think of nothing worse than not been able to see them again. Sorry if you find my post not relavent here. Anyone wish to add their thoughts are most welcome.

nicnacs

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Year 2023

Don't over watch the news then.

I hardly watch any TV now but I do see the news headlines.

I have a sister in law who has been very down with depression.

I'll  say what I told her.

I quite honestly doubt that times and people are any worse than they have ever been.

You've only got to read history to realise that. Even last century, the second world war could hardly be called an easier era.

There are a few different things in the mix nowadays.

They are-instant news.  Media everywhere in our lives now, much more than in previous times.

More people.

Bigger consequences. Back in the day, people only had to worry about the atomic bomb and even through WW2, they didn't have to worry about that as most didn't even know about it.

Don't let murders and such worry you overly much-or not in the sense of fearing we are 'more violent' than any other era. Violent behaviour has unfortunately always been with us and the prevalence of drugs and such in our society hasn't helped any.

If you look around you though, you'll see signs that in some ways, we are better than past eras. 

Just say someone is involved in a bad car crash. You'll see strangers ring for an ambulance which will arrive (again, with strangers) and the injured person will be carted off to hospital to be attended by medical staff (strangers again). Pretty amazing, when you think about it.

Or just say you are unable to work or very elderly with no savings. You will get a pension or disability payment to help you survive. That's pretty amazing too, compared to past centuries. So society isn't all gloom and doom but evil will always be with us too. It's part and parcel of human life, always has been.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Year 2023

nicnacs, I feel as though human beings are falling into worse states now than ever before. Like you, Iโ€™m affected by the horrors reported in the news: so many instances of unimaginable cruelty and evil.

Iโ€™ll keep on following the news, but sometimes I take a deep breathโ€ฆ sometimes Iโ€™ll be brought to tearsโ€ฆ and sometimes I will try to restore my balance by listening to music or seeking a moment of solitude and contemplation.

One thing that never fails to be a challenge for my equanimity is when a drug-fuelled rampage or act of criminal behaviour is deemed by the court to be mitigated by the fact that the perpetrator had chosen to bomb himself out of his mind with drugs or alcohol or both. I regard that as an aggravating factor, not a mitigating one.

Butโ€ฆ Iโ€™ll get off my soapbox.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Year 2023

So the good news is that ( in rich countries at least)  homicide rates and general crimes rates have been steadily declining for decades. The bad news is twofold. Firstly newsthat provokes a strong emotional reaction sells- and that is the bad stuff. And we are told about the bad stuff regardless of where in the world it occurred!

Secondly, we are more likely to remember the stuff that provokes a strong emotional reaction, so things SEEM worse than they actually are.

The antidote is like Countess says, you need to take time out to focus on the good things. Remember there will always be ๐ŸŒน-smell them!

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Year 2023

Oh, we are also less likely to die in a car crash or workplace accident. One are where deaths ARE rising is drug overdoses. This is not just street drugs but also addictive drugs prescribed by doctors!

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Year 2023

Always keep in mind that the news focusses on sensationalism and negatives sell.

For every bad news story there are thousands of good stories, but they don't gain interest.

And I'm still here, how good is that ?  giggle.gif

image host
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Year 2023

I can totally understand where you are coming from nicnacs_4u. IMO the media  are in charge of the content and context of 'news' communicated to Australians. But much depends on which news services people pay attention to. I have learned who to avoid because of their agenda, bias and intentions. I used to get very upset with all the ugliness and evil in the world. It occurred to me that I couldn't do anything about 95% of the problems, which made me more unhappy. But the reality is that most people pay more attention to bad things than good things in the media. Happy stories seldom sell newspapers or gain a TV audience. So for me the best solution is to view and read in moderation, and choose who we pay attention to wisely.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Year 2023

travmk2
Community Member

Hi Nicnacs,

I read your post at least 45 mins ago and since then have been asking myself if I am able to reply.

It is something I need to carefully consider before doing so, which prompted me to send this short reply.

Trav

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Year 2023

mtnlane
Community Member

Hi Nics

You are a sensitive soul and need to modify your reading/viewing so as not to be brought down by things over which you have little control.  That applies to social media as well so be selective about the sort of places you 'visit'

As we get older I suspect many of us feel the same way as you - recognising our own mortality as well.  Make the most of time with your daughters and your grandies - you are special to them too ..... don't forget that.

Someone suggested stopping and smelling the roses - you have so many in your lovely garden too ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you for being so open in creating this thread - hopefully it will help others who may be feeling the same.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Year 2023

arctoph_49
Community Member

Great post, and I completely agree, but bad news and horrible murders, even of innocent children, are sadly not new. Some of the most horrible murders of children were committed by a UK couple in the 60s. I won't give you any further details of course. News can indeed be very upsetting. I only read headlines these days, just to have an idea of what is going on... I don't think that it is necessary to read the whole article if you know details are going to upset you.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Year 2023

Don't over watch the news then.

I hardly watch any TV now but I do see the news headlines.

I have a sister in law who has been very down with depression.

I'll  say what I told her.

I quite honestly doubt that times and people are any worse than they have ever been.

You've only got to read history to realise that. Even last century, the second world war could hardly be called an easier era.

There are a few different things in the mix nowadays.

They are-instant news.  Media everywhere in our lives now, much more than in previous times.

More people.

Bigger consequences. Back in the day, people only had to worry about the atomic bomb and even through WW2, they didn't have to worry about that as most didn't even know about it.

Don't let murders and such worry you overly much-or not in the sense of fearing we are 'more violent' than any other era. Violent behaviour has unfortunately always been with us and the prevalence of drugs and such in our society hasn't helped any.

If you look around you though, you'll see signs that in some ways, we are better than past eras. 

Just say someone is involved in a bad car crash. You'll see strangers ring for an ambulance which will arrive (again, with strangers) and the injured person will be carted off to hospital to be attended by medical staff (strangers again). Pretty amazing, when you think about it.

Or just say you are unable to work or very elderly with no savings. You will get a pension or disability payment to help you survive. That's pretty amazing too, compared to past centuries. So society isn't all gloom and doom but evil will always be with us too. It's part and parcel of human life, always has been.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply