You never know what you might find at a garage sale!!

Last weekend I had a very *once in a lifetime* event happen at a garage sale!!

I came across two wooden masks for sale. They were asking $100 the pair.  I was very interested because as most of you know, I collect masks.  I only had $20 in cash at that time, so I asked if I could leave it as a deposit while I went home to get the remaining funds. They accepted and I left.

When I returned, I asked if I could have my $20 back as I had a $100 note now, and they gave me back my $20.

I then proceeded to show them a printout of an EBAY PURCHASE  showing that I had actually purchased these two masks back in 2015 and that I was the rightful owner and I was in no way paying again for them. I also suggested that they should be returned to me immediately as they were in receipt of stolen property and I would not hesitate to get the police and the courts involved.

Lets just say, they gave me the two masks back, and I was ...hmmmm... *asked to leave the property!!!*    LOL  Man Very Happy

I have paid the seller again as I had received a paypal refund back in 2015.  ($57 including postage)
I've also emailed the seller with an explaination but I'm not really expecting him to reply LOL

Anyway, at least I've got my ebay purchase. Better late than never.  Man Very Happy

I cant actually proove that those others stole the masks back in 2015, but I could proove they were indeed in possession of stolen property with my ebay win printout and my paypal refund proof. 

My ears are still ringing from the language they spat at me though....

LOL...... 

cheers folks

xxJ

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

wow, how random is that.Cat Surprised

Any ideas on how they got to be stolen?

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

How did they come to be in possesion of them, though?

Were they posted to you and you didn't receive them?   Were they nicked from

outside your house after the courier/postie dropped them off?  

You're very lucky I must say.

pick me smiley.gif  And what was the original price?  At $100 was that cheap?

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

What happened from postage to delivery I am not sure because I never ever received them, even though tracking stated the package was delivered,   A/P stated they couldnt confirm delivery to *who* as there was no signature required for receipt of parcle.

I ended up putting in a INR and I got a refund, regardless of the fact that there was tracking stating delivery...

(which almost never happened back in 2015!!)

Its an amazing turn of events I must say, but at least I am happy that they are now in their rightful forever home   Heart

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

pick me smiley.gif  And what was the original price?  At $100 was that cheap?

$15 for each mask plus $27 postage.   TOTAL $57. 

Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

I suspect they might have been stolen after they were delivered.   That would have been a nice little profit if they had sold them for $100.

I wonder how many other items at that garage sale had been similarly acquired.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

It does make you wonder

Great you got them home safe and sound.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I suspect they might have been stolen after they were delivered.   That would have been a nice little profit if they had sold them for $100.

I wonder how many other items at that garage sale had been similarly acquired.

I truly dont think so lyndal...
We live in a great street and I had asked both side neighbours at the time.
IMO, the courier stole them.
But..... I cant prove it...

Anyway, Im just glad I have them back.. I couldnt believe it when I saw them.... I just couldnt believe it. !!
Gawd it was hard to keep my cool too... LOL  (I really should be an actress I reckon.. think I missed my calling, somehow!)

I kept note of the address *just in case* something happens.  I have personalised number plates and I was being *watched* as I drove away by a very irrate fella of unemployable features (if you get my drift) Man Frustrated

Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Maybe the garage sale was in fact the seller and they hadn't sent the item ?

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

I would have said, "Well seeing as you decided to use that tone and language with me, I am paying Mr Plod a visit"

And I might have done just that seeing as they were unpleasant people.

Good chance they stole them and perhaps have other stolen property on their premises.

Glad you got them and good story.  Smiley Happy

image host
Message 10 of 28
Latest reply