online bullying

I wondered if anyone can explain how this continues to happen? .

I'm constantly reading how children are being bullied on line by their peers and classmates ect.What I'm curious to know  is why they don't just change their email address and set up social media acounts that only approved people can access. 

Do their classmates have to have access to their email addresses or something. .. I'm just surprised  that you can have children who are at the stage of being suicidal  and yet bullies can still contact them , am I missing something?   

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

online bullying

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I might be out of touch, but when my grandkids were in Primary school,

the school allocated them an email address, to get them used to accessing

their email accounts.

Dunno if that's still happening though

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

online bullying

That may be the explanation,  I wondered if kids may be issued one but it seems to me it needs to be kept secret or something as online bullying is such as issue . It is very sad some of the  stories iv read lately  ,mind you I never fail to be amazed at how much vicious behavior trolls get away with I think that would help start really treating trolling as a crime with significant  punishment and name them as well . 

I get so angry reading of people being threats of rape,torture  and murder and the creeps getting away with it, cowards who hide behind some computer.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

online bullying

I tell my Grand daughter just to unfollow people on face book that bully her.

The problem with Teenagers they like a open face book so they can have 500 friends, this can be a problem.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

online bullying

Bullies are not the 'cause' of suicide.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

online bullying

Is Trolling not illegal in Oz ? It is in the UK. Mind you it doesn't them. In fact I understand that it's increased two-fold from the edict below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/internet-trolls-to-face-2-years-in-prison

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

online bullying

It is similar here in Australia, EMB  but it seems it is for more serious trolling, life threatening etc.

http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4259/internet-trolls-can-be-prosecuted-under-australian.aspx

However, for the "minor" bullying aspect , this may be helpful

Firstly, document everything. The NSW Police said, "Any evidence of the incident/s will assist police in their investigations. For online incidents, this would include any emails, screenshots or print-outs. You should not delete the items, and you should also keep a record or diary of all incidents which you can provide to police."

Deleting items will make the ISP of the offender harder to trace, so keep all correspondence. File it into an email folder if it's via email. Save screenshots from your phone if it's via text message, and back the photos up (just in case you drop and shatter your phone or something). If it's wall posts on Facebook or Twitter posts, screenshot them too, since the person posting them can delete them at any time. Don't respond. Just document.

Also, don't be put off by the fact that your harasser may be overseas. Australian law enforcement agencies regularly work together with their international counterparts; and your local police will be able to advise you if steps may be taken.

If you're being stalked, or you think you might be being stalked, there's an incident report form herethat outlines the sort of information the police will find helpful.

Finally, absolutely go to the police. The law isn't going to come to you; so you'll have to go to the law.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/dont-let-cyberbullies-have-the-last-laugh/

DEB

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

online bullying

Of course, a bullied person is weakened by the cyberbullying; and may be threatened with harm should it be reported to Mum, Dad, teacher, etc.

Therefore doesn't seek assistance.  

Cruel, cruel bullies.

Parents and friends must observe their loved ones for any changes in character,  to be the strong hand of help when required.

DEB

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

online bullying

@donnashuggy wrote:

So it is just a coincidence that so many of the teens that do suicide or attempt suicide were being bullied?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

online bullying

@***super_nova*** wrote:

@donnashuggy wrote:

So it is just a coincidence that so many of the teens that do suicide or attempt suicide were being bullied?

No it isn't coincidence.  I can easily see how young people who may be feeling terribly insecure and unloved could be pushed over the edge by bullying.  

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply