rarest kind of one of the worlds most common birds found in Melbourne-check this little guy out!

want to watch something that is pretty amazing and rare?

little white angel...

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/the-rarest-kind-of-one-of-the-worlds-most-common-birds-...

Heart

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

rarest kind of one of the worlds most common birds found in Melbourne-check this little guy out!

@serendipityricho wrote:

TGSE--do they still have the snipers waiting for the ships in Freo harbour?

Saw a doco recently on the TV---at some places along the Nullabor coast-

set ups with live baited traps-manned by back packers-to catch

the sparrows trying to cross the border overland..............................Richo.

No sure about the ships, Richo. It woudn't surprise me though. Starlings are also shot on sight, and lorikeets too - they are not native to WA and are considered a pest..

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@wilk1149 wrote:
I shoot every sparrow I can. Introduced birds that compete with native species which are much more beautiful than an ugly old sparrow

Why am I not surprised.      

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

tgse, are you sure they shoot lorikeets in WA as there is a flock of a least 20 that strip my mulberry tree every year and they always turn up for the last of the grapes in autumn. Very photogenic though

Spoiler

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Come to think of it,you are right, Languidlady it's probably only down South they are paranoid about them. I've just remembered, my son lives opposite Embleton golf course and when we stay there we get woken every morning by lorikeets in the trees along the fenceline. We had a couple appear at our bird feeder in Bunbury (I think they had a breakout from the local bird park) but they didn't last long. I know the City Council urged people to report any sightings so they could be eradicated.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

That is such a beautiful bird, a "snow" bird except it wouldn't see snow ....  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for posting that, just shows what nature can really share xx

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Another example of human stupidity. Why did someone introduce lorikeets to W.A. They are a beautiful little bird but just like a sparrow if it's introduced it is a pest that provides unnecessary competition to the indigenous species. If I lived in W.A. I'd shoot as many as them as I could too. I spend hundreds of dollars every year shooting foxes and starlings and sparrows.
Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Seemed like a good idea at the time------like cane toads.........................................Richo.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply