sorry to crash thread with a sad topic...

rhysc123
Community Member
Evening all, I have a question for anyone that has dealt with a family member with secondary bone cancer. Basically my mum 66 years old was diagnosed with Breast cancer under her arm about 2-3 yrs ago which she had surgery to remove the lymphnodes successfully. During this time they picked up she had some sort of slow growing lung cancer which she has not had any real symptoms or issues. However 6 months ago mum starting having probs with her upper leg which the doctors were treating as bursitis until she fractured her upper femur (didnt even fall just twisted the wrong way) while getting out of the shower. Where she was finally diagnosed with secondary bone cancer 3 mths ago. She has increasingly worsened n pain drugs have been increased. We admitted her to hospital again yesterday n have bee advised today that it has spread to her back in ribs. My sister n i are planning on caring for mum along with our dad who is still working n running his own business.

Any advise or experiences that can prepare us all. I am angry, sad, scared n wish this was not happening to us n our kids.
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

No experience, I'm sorry. But I send my best wishes and positive thoughts.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

rhysc123
Community Member

Thank you :-x I just feel quite unprepared but I have always believed that life doesnt throw anything more than it thinks i can handle

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I suggest having a talk with your mother's doctor...he should be able to tell you where to get help and information.

I believe the Cancer Council can give you information.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

rhysc123
Community Member

I think we plan to talk to pallitive support

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

rhysc123
Community Member

I feel more concerned for my dad n how he wilk cope than myself

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Another new ID with an inappropriate post.

TCT
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Another new ID with an inappropriate post.

the member is not new...2004 join date. Inappropriate...in what way? 

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I find the social workers at the Hospital we attended to be amazing, like family, caring supportive and helpful. The Cancer Council can also guide you if further assistance is required. If travel to Hospital, or medical treatment is more then 200k IPTASS (Issolated patient transport assistance support scheme) are there to assist with costs and accommodation. Speak to your Mothers Oncologist, you will find him/her  very compassionate and helpful.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

What Freddie said. But also make sure you look after your mental health consider seeing a counsellor to help you work through and process your feelings.  They may also be able to help you consider what decisions and supports you would like to put in place.

I'm sorry you as a family are going through this, sending you hugs:-x

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply