sorry to crash thread with a sad topic...

rhysc123
Community Member
Evening all, I have a question for anyone that has dealt with a family member with secondary bone cancer. Basically my mum 66 years old was diagnosed with Breast cancer under her arm about 2-3 yrs ago which she had surgery to remove the lymphnodes successfully. During this time they picked up she had some sort of slow growing lung cancer which she has not had any real symptoms or issues. However 6 months ago mum starting having probs with her upper leg which the doctors were treating as bursitis until she fractured her upper femur (didnt even fall just twisted the wrong way) while getting out of the shower. Where she was finally diagnosed with secondary bone cancer 3 mths ago. She has increasingly worsened n pain drugs have been increased. We admitted her to hospital again yesterday n have bee advised today that it has spread to her back in ribs. My sister n i are planning on caring for mum along with our dad who is still working n running his own business.

Any advise or experiences that can prepare us all. I am angry, sad, scared n wish this was not happening to us n our kids.
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: sorry to crash thread with a sad topic...

Oh I forgot about the breast cancer nurses, they are also there to help, there is so much funding gone into breast cancer, don't be embarrassed to utilize any assistance offered.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

I feel more concerned for my dad n how he wilk cope than myself

That's heartbreaking.

I don't have any information so the only thing I can suggest is that you keep as informed as you can as your parents may not be registering all that is being said to them and are probably feeling very confused.

Fingers crossed for you.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

the member is not new...2004 join date. Inappropriate...in what way? 

There was a post posted last night by a whispering person and it was inappropriate, it's gone now.

Do what Lyndal and Freddie said OP. That will be a start. 

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

thank you that explains it. 

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

So sorry to hear this. Depending on where you are, make sure dad has mum's POA and Guardianship before she gets too ill, also your local health services may be able to provide some resources and services to assist you. Meals on wheels, home services and equipment.:-x

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

rhysc123
Community Member

Far from new to ebay used to chat on the forums long time ago.

Thanks for yr advice n comments. It did upset me that someone could think that this situation is a story how i wish it was! My mum came out of hospital today for half a day to spend with dad. They are maybe looking at liquid morphine so that she can potentially come out of hospital n spend as much time at home with family. This is crushing me as 2 of my kids are only 7 & 10 n i want them to have a nan for many years to come but i dont think i can have that. It is emotionally harder as i seperated from a 20 year relationship 12 months ago n feel i need my mum mire than ever but have to be strong for her n pretend my life is ok. I have seen a counsellor 2-3 times now n that has been great but this latest prognosis has really changed the future. 

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Spend as much time as you possibly can with your Mum, tell her how much you love her, talk about the good time, the fun times you have shared. It's going to be hard for you and your family, but try and be strong for your Mum and Dad. Your Dad, will need your support.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

cherples
Community Member

Yes, spend as much time as you can with your mum and let her see the children all she is able to as well. 

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

rhysc123
Community Member

If it couldnt possibly get any worse my mum has a fracture in her knee where the cancer has spread. They dont know if they can pin it or if unable to just radiate the knee and ribs. She is in good spirits considering she is not allowed out of bed at all until they can address the knee. She is having a MRI tomorrow to establish how bad the fracture actually is. 

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply