thanksgiving in Australia

Sarah Jane is on ABC news saying we should have thanksgiving here. Aren't we inundated with enough pseudo American culture already
Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: thanksgiving in Australia

jean2579

helen5839 wrote:

aps1080 wrote: Helen,

Women were the backbone of the country in some ways or many ways.

Both keeping the fort and or being pioneers.

Have you read the book we of the never never ?

A classic - and - of course I have.

I am 66 years old & reading is my nature.

I also read the short -

They're a Weird Mob - and everything 'inbetween'.

Women are still the backbone - never heard one declare 'war'.

Unless of course it was on the OH or untidy 'kid'.

I believe that Britians' Mrs Margaret Thatcher did on Argentina.

Yes, Margaret Thatcher did go to war against Argentina but don't let facts get in the way of a good urban myth.
Message 41 of 71
Latest reply

@boris1gary wrote:

isn't sarah jane from Mr Squiggle?

No she was a companion on Doctor Who

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 42 of 71
Latest reply

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

Boris, the U.S. has this horrible tradition called Black Friday. The day after Thanksgiving, people trample over each other to buy things at a discount. Some stores open tonight, and let the crazies in to spend money all night long, and into Black Friday.

I recently read that Black Friday was originally a day where slaves were sold at a discount, so that farmers could buy extra slaves for the hard winters. 

😞 

Day of Mourning... indeed. 

You might want to read this then

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/blackfriday.asp

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 43 of 71
Latest reply

"Yes, Margaret Thatcher did go to war against Argentina but don't let facts get in the way of a good urban myth. "

What do you mean by Urban myth ?

Maggie had a backbone, ten times more than most pollies nowadays.

She went to war against the Argies because they invaded British territory and got a very bloody nose out of it.

That wasn't the only time she showed some back bone - the Iranian embassy - to paraphrase what she said, "No terrorist will leave England alive" - and none did, the only survivor lives in the UK after spending 25+ years in prison and he only lived because someone had a TV Camera on the back of the embassy.

And numerous other examples during her time.

Did you live through her time and the above incidents ? If you did, you would know that both the examples I used the UK rose up with her in support.

Message 44 of 71
Latest reply

Maggie was a great PM.Witness the outpouring of grief with her passing *

Bob Carr, Australia's foreign minister, said he was astonished by Thatcher's racial outbursts when she visited in the 1990s. He said she warned him against Asian immigration, saying: "You'll end up like Fiji, where the Indian migrants have taken over."
Back in the 1970s, her views on South Africa were being moulded by the racist attitudes of her friend Laurens van der Post. In addition to being a Jungian mystic, a teller of tall tales about himself and a man who fathered a child with a 14-year-old, he believed in innate racial characteristics. Mandela's Xhosas were treacherous; Mangosuthu Buthelezi's Zulus were noble savages. Thatcher therefore did her best to champion the latter's cause.

*sarcasm

Message 45 of 71
Latest reply

Depends which side of the fence you are on !

Military people including "her boys" (LOL) and those right minded thinkers loved her.

She helped restore pride back into the UK.
Message 46 of 71
Latest reply

"Right" being the operative word.
Message 47 of 71
Latest reply

Dead right ! Smiley Very Happy

You obviously didn't like her, why ?

Message 48 of 71
Latest reply

Maggie is / was a hell of lot better than the huggy fluffy green pollies like "I have two dads" (Sarah Hansen Young) who doesn't have one live brain cell and is forever on the "outrage" bus.

That is when she is not getting TV sjows mixed up with reality !
How stupid can you get, really ????

She makes idiots look intelligent.
Message 49 of 71
Latest reply

Past and present politicians have nothing to do with the OPs question.

In evry country, all over the world, some people like their leader and some don't.

It is not for a leader of a country to proclaim a special celebration day on a whim. It is up to the people to request or reject any special day for whatever to be remembered or respected.

Erica

Message 50 of 71
Latest reply