See how long that lasts

Can we keep politics and religion out 

Of the conversation 

Message 1 of 12,453
Latest reply
12,452 REPLIES 12,452

Re: the nothing ,anything ,everything thread

Ha, Ha, Icy.  

Those smells included the rotting vegetation, the gum leaves, even the aroma of the broken lantana twigs. A virtual laboratory of cultured organisms.  

DEB 

Message 461 of 12,453
Latest reply

Does it ever strike you as a bit strange that we put up pictures of nature scenes in our houses, trees, birds, mountains, and yet all we have to do is step outside and there it is...?

We take mini holidays and sit on logs and take in the sights, the sounds, the smells and then go back to our little bubbles in suburbia. It's always amused me, I'm an urban dweller and feel so drawn to, so at peace with, in, within, the 'natural' environment. I've no urge to go and live in a log cabin by a lake in the mountains, but I do find something very special, refreshing, in spending time away from the bricks and mortar.

I think there's something that people need, inherently, in 'green, leafy places', a sanctuary, of sorts from the day to day.

It's what shopping malls need - a bit more natural light, the crunch of bark, underfoot, although I could forego reaching for a can on a supermarket shelf and picking up a frilled neck lizard, instead, ha ha.

I don't need to tell you to enjoy your time 'out there', you already do, but don't think of it a something separate from you, think of it as a part of who you are - this is the piece of you that is at peace.

Smiley Happy

Message 462 of 12,453
Latest reply

I remember catching a train in Melbourne, and as it left the station and lazily followed a sweeping curve in the tracks, it passed an old factory, a red brick wall covered in graffiti. someone had scrawled, in large, untidy letters "Asians Out", and at a later date some wit had come along and added to it - "Take" and "To lunch", so it now read "Take Asians Out To Lunch". I'm sure my fellow passengers thought I was quite strange as I dissolved into guffaws of laughter at that.

I always thought it was very representative of Melbourne; the contrasts in views, the cleverness of defusing a racist epithet. That was very Melbourne, to me.

Message 463 of 12,453
Latest reply

It was one of those half overheard conversations that someone else was having; someone said that Aboriginals, I'm assuming more on a tribal/clan level than on a People wide level, regard cockatoos as being the spirits of children who have passed away.

The idea appealed to me.

So I tell amusing stories to children. Some I can see, envisage, some sit on the edge of the shadows, unseen to me, but still present.

Smiley Happy

Message 464 of 12,453
Latest reply

That is how I know the eagle to be at home (for me) ecar xxx

Message 465 of 12,453
Latest reply

Which explains the love heart with the bird in it, which I have been at pains to find a way of asking about, without seeming impolite.

Don't worry, I'm not going to say "Totem animal" to you. For me, at least, it brings on memories of crystals and cheap pewter lapiz lazuli encrusted jewellery and poorly printed paperbacks about "Following the light path of your inner guide". Smiley LOL

It is your friend and guide and kin and as much a part of you as your fingernails are. It cannot be be explained with a glib, meaningless throwaway "explanation".

It is you, it is who you are, and it  is who it is and I'm at risk of sounding like I'm going to repeat the lyrics of I am the walrus. Smiley LOL

(I am he as you are he as you are me, And we are all together) Just for the sake of refreshing memories. Smiley Wink

Message 466 of 12,453
Latest reply

We used to go camping all the time when my

Kids were young.

Not in a  caravan park but on a landing on the

Side of the Murray near Mannum

The only people for.miles was a dairy nearby.

And boats going past on the river.

We had kayaks and took trips through the

Backwaters and a small lagoon near the campsite

At night when everyone was asleep I would sit

By the campfire and sometimes fish.

The noises you would hear were amazing.

Fish jumping out of the water. 

Frogs, insects, water rats scurrying through the

Bushes, and an occasional moo.

A houseboat coming quietly down the river at 

Night, the crackle of the fire .

Orchestral maneuvers in the dark

And if you were really quite you could almost

Hear a spider spinning his web.

A glass of Jim Beam and an ever watchful eye

And ear for intruders and a trusty hammer nearby

Just incase.

Message 467 of 12,453
Latest reply

🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂 

Message 468 of 12,453
Latest reply

I don't know how I'd go fishing in a campfire. I'd probably be disappointed. Smiley LOL

Message 469 of 12,453
Latest reply

Bugger 

Done it again 

What I was going to say was

We throw potatoes in foil in the coals

So you could fish them out 🙂

But the fishing I was refering to was in the water

Not in the campfire,  although reading back

Point taken thank you

Message 470 of 12,453