Drivers for new printer won't install

Printer Brother HL 1110 laser........   seeing as printers hate me I was patting myself on the back as I got it all set up, ran off the test copy then inserted the Driver disk.

So of course it doesn't work.   It gets so far then I get this message ..."DIFX DRIVER PACKAGE INSTALL ERROR =5 and it's stuck.

I've tried everything .......    someone said to disable anti virus so I did, made no difference.   Went to Brother Support Centre and wrote long story and get this message Error 404 Forbidden access so can't report it. .   Googled the error message, seems it's quite common.   Someone said to run as Administrator but can't find how to do that. So many fixes that I can't understand. Tried finding the drivers online but cant.

Can anyone help me or do I package the whole thing back up and return it?   So disappointed   It's such a neat little printer, perfect for me.  

Running Win 7 on HP laptop. 

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Win 7 is probably the problem. Too old.

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

But it says it's suitable for Vista and XP also.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Ok, try getting the driver from here.

But you need to select 32 or 64 bit.

If you don't know, you need to look at the operating system specs on your computer.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=hl1110_us_eu_as

image host
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Yes that might do it ....   only it says I must be logged in as Administrator.  How do I do that kopes?  

(it is a 64 bit)

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

How do I log on as an administrator? - Windows Help

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Manage User Accounts.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Your user name is highlighted and your account type is shown in the Group column.
image host
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

In the User accounts there is a little pic of my logo with Administrator on it , and password protected.  Gives me no option to change it.

So ......  looks like I'll be paying someone to come and fix this for me and it will cost more than the printer   😞  but short of me getting a friend 's son who is 4 years old and honestly an IT wizard to come over I  have no choice.

Thanks kopes.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

That means you can log in as administrator and just need to enter the password you set up when you set up windows or your laptop.

But I'm guessing you have forgotten the password ?

image host
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Hi appears like you had first installed bundled drivers unattended via Windows " plug&play" when starting the computer with the printer connected 

This is implied as you mentioned first running a test page before trying to install from the oem driver disk. . Then when trying to install from the oem driver disk over the top , an error developed.

I would suggest first uninstall the current drivers of the printer via " start > printer/faxes " applet, right click on printer icon and select delete

Might be useful to run the Brother driver uninstall tool , just to make sure ( ref Utilities)

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=au&lang=en&prod=hl1110_us_eu_as&os=74

My suggested reinstallation procedure :

After deleting the printer from Windows , 

power off the printer and disconnect the usb signal cable, then restart the computer and run the oem install file from the disk.  When indicated by the driver install program

or when finshed

or as instructed at start of process,

then and only then power on the printer , wait until it calms down , then plug in the usb signal cable so that Windows "plug&play" can detect the printer and initialise the correct drivers etc. This procedure should ensure only drivers / apps from the oem driver disk are installed rather than Windows bundled drivers.

Uninstall printer

Run uninstall tool

Disconnect printer

Restart computer 

Run oem driver and software package

Reconnect printer when indicated

Restart computer when finished installing

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks, ive just bought a new pc so hopelly the printer might install

more easily