Graphics card broke several months after non-intensive use

Seller claimed 1080Ti graphics card (GPU) had experienced "light use", however on receiving it appeared to have dust caked onto the cooling fins. I assumed it would still be ok and used it in my PC.

Several months in now, the card is useless, I have not put it under intensive use, and now when the card gets over 70 degrees (very low for a GPU), it fails, causing artifacting and screen distortion or flat out crashing the PC.

I've placed my old GTX 970 back into my PC and it works with no issues.

I am now reluctant to believe the seller used the GPU "lightly" in its past life, I imagine it was used for mining, and he is not replying to any of my messages in attempts to resolve the issue.

Is there anything I can do to refund the item due to it being faulty, or has it been to long and I've just lost $900?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Graphics card broke several months after non-intensive use

If paid via PayPal you have 180 days to open a case for INAD.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If paid via PayPal you have 180 days to open a case for INAD.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I see, I didn't realise Paypal covered for that up to 180 days.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

You're welcome.

Let us know how it goes.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Unfortunately PayPal rejected my claim as "the purchase is ineligible for PayPal Purchase Protection according to our User Agreement".

That's all they stated. I'm guessing the advert was non-specific enough that PayPal couldn't pick the ad as explicitly disingenuous, and so as the item was 'used', they sided with the seller.

Regardless, I'm never buying second hand tech again, and now I'm stuck with a $900 paperweight.

Thank you for your help though, kopenhagen5. Your suggestion answered my initial issue perfectly.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I am disappointed to hear that.

It must be one of the few categories PayPal don't cover.

One of the neighbours boys always upgrades to the latest GPU and usually gives away his earlier ones.

If he is about to upgrade in the next couple of months, I'll see if I can get hold of his current one and I will be happy to send it to you.

Can't promise anything but it's worth a try. I think you deserve a break.

image host
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Oh wow, of course I don't expect you to help this stranger out, but if that opportunity comes up I'll be incredibly grateful! 

You've made my day just suggesting that; restored a little faith. Thank you.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Ok, spoke to the neighbour and he said he is not upgrading his GPU soon as apparently the 2080ti is a lot more expensive than the usual new release GPU's. Something to do with lighting or shading being new. He has a 1080ti.

He said everyone is waiting to see what AMD is going to come out with seeing as the new Nvidia is pricey.

So sorry I can't help on this one as much as I think you deserve it.

I do believe in karma and good things come to those deserving. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

That's understandable, the newer 20 RTX series are significantly more expensive than the older 10 GTX series, but the older series are still very relevant, hence why I bought the 1080Ti.

Totally understand him wanting to to hold onto his 1080Ti!

Hopefully karma works in droves haha thanks again though, you've been a champ!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply