Help with Windows Update

I'm running Windows Vista and it works great, but every now and then I'll get a blue screen.. Vista has told me that it's a networking problem that needs to be updated via windows update..

The problem here is that the last time I tried to do that it sat for ages on 0% and didn't seem to be moving.. I cancelled the update and then lost internet access until I rebooted..

Is there any way I can update the networking without having to use Windows Update?

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Help with Windows Update

It depends what needs to be "updated".

If it's the networking code within Vista itself, then odds are the automatic updates system will handle it for you, given time. But if this was possible it'd likely've happened by now.

If it's the driver code that tells Vista how to use the networking hardware in your machine, then it'd be best to search for an update on the website of your computer manufacturer.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Help with Windows Update

Hi , you can access the computer vendor support site as per model and os version and navigate to the driver site and download and install the latest version relevant driver update

Is also recommended to update the chipset driver first as this mainboard device controls the flow of data between devices and sub-systems including network

First create a restore point then run the update setup file

As always ensure valued personal files are backed-up to removable media and you have the means to re-install Windows

The network device driver update is a vendor sanctioned owner procedure and quite safe but one can never can totally sure of no unexpected complications

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply