Optus Unlimited Simcards SCAM! Beware

So some of you may have seen Optus 3g Simcards for sale.  Its $2 a day for unlimited everything except international stuff.   YES! unlimited Data as well.. my friend has one and he will chew 10 gig a day streaming Netflix. 

There is a SCAM out there on Ebay / other websites and it goes like this.. 

They sell you the simcard.. you pay them, they post it out.. You get it in the mail and it works fine.. so you give them good feedback and go on your merry way. 

day 4 comes along and the simcard is no longer active on the network.   You have just been duped.

The seller will call Optus and say  " i lost my simcard, can i order a replacement"  
Optus will say "YES"  ( no pun intended there optus.. ) and send them a new card, at the same time cancel the card YOU have because you cant have the same phone number simcard on the network at the same time. 

Seller just made anywhere from $200 to 600+ you are NOT covered by Ebay OR Paypal.. as the seller has proof he sent you a simcard.. plus you already left posetive feedback. 

Thats the scam.. 

BEWARE !! 

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

go-tazz
Community Member

Report it to: http://www.acorn.gov.au/

They deal with cyber crime.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

You can avoid this scam by setting up a meeting at an Optus shop and getting and transferring the ownership of the SIM. I went into an Optus shop today in order to obtain a new SIM as I'd lost the previous one and I needed to produce my licence. 

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply