PC Power supply question

I have an old PC that was given, I have just plugged it in and the power supply blew up...

I have 3 spare but I'm a bit confused about Voltage and Wattage..
The power supply that blew up was 400 watts, one of the power supplies I have is 430 Watts.

2.8ghz CPU
2 Hard drives
CD/RW
Running Windows XP

Is it safe to put the 430 Watt power supply in the PC? 

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: PC Power supply question

Hi , interesting low cost refurbishing project,  just wondering wether you reinstalled Windows , as this will have removed any previous owners parasites , system file errors, unlicenced applications , possible nannywre, zombie controls etc - is a bit odd that you would notice a "huge" difference between 1GB to 2GB running XP Windows unless you are using very high resource programs or multitasking, sounds like something big and ugly might be running in the background , unless a previously installed ram module was incompatiable or faulty

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

XP Runs fine on just under 1 Gig but I was intending on eventually installing Vista if I could still find a copy 

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Hi Patch

Dont go to Vista as you will be extremely dissapointed not to mention frustrated with that operating system it will eat up all your ram.

Try Windows 7 lite it's designed to run on a smaller (older) computer and doesnt require as much ram or cpu and the bonus is it's very similar to XP unlike Vista which is totally different and takes a bit to get used to.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

VISTA service pack 2 runs just fine using supported hardware - but need to upgrade to service pack  2 which is not obvious as you need to first manually upgrade explorer browser to version 8

After installation of original version need to first install another browser like chrome, then manually download and update the explorer browser 6 ( a real dog) to Explorer 7 using a 3rd party download site to download the distributable file ( the ms site defaults to explorer 8 which will not install)

Then install updates  and sp1 via Windows update and manually install latest adobe flash player and java runtime

Then install Explorer 8 via the Microsoft site

The run WIndows update again which should eventully include sp2

or technically can download sp1 distributable file and install , then download sp2 distributable file and install , then run Windows update for latest version file updates including hopefully all activation / validation processes ( although might become messy for the home licensee)

VISTA upgrade tends to be much cheaper than WIndows 7 upgrade

I would suggest 2GB total installed ram memory - remember VISTA / Windows 7 graphics drivers tend to support using ram memory space to augment onboard graphics device memory , particularly if using a pro graphics card, so for another reason ram memory usage does tend to be higher than if using WIndows XP

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply