Planning on bidding for a laptop but seller seems a little suspicious...

Theres someone auctioning a laptop and its specs are exactly what I've been looking for. I haven't placed any bids yet as I was concerned about the age of the laptop. I messaged the seller asking how long they had it for and they replied saying "a year and a half".

Now their answer immediately made me suspicious as the laptop has a GTX 1050 ti and that line of graphics card was only released this year. Should I continue questioning the seller or should I just look elsewhere for a laptop. Or maybe I'm just being paronoid who knows. Thoughts anyone?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I thought Nvidia used these model numbers for their desktop graphics cards and have a different series for laptops ?

I could be wrong though.

Unless you are getting this extremely cheap and can reformat yourself, it's a little risky.

No warranty even if the seller says there is. Warranties are usually not transferable.

image host
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Yup, laptop gpu's used to have "m" (mobile) as part of their graphics card model name but the latest GTX 10 series for notebooks  perform on par(or close to but don't quote me on this) with their desktop counterparts, thus the "m" suffix has been removed.

It gets confusing but anyway, the gtx 1060, 1070 and 1080 for laptops were released mid 2016 while the gtx 1050 and 1050 ti were released this year and that's why I've gotten suspicious of the reply I got from the seller but as you said its risky so I guess I'm not gonna bother bidding on the laptop. 

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply