The Ups and Downs of Synonyms (New Game)

I hope this new game will be fun...

In this new game, you have to select a word from the sentence of the previous poster and write a new sentence with a synonym of that word that is either longer or shorter than the original word.

The next poster then chooses a new word from your sentence, selects a synonym of that word that is either longer or shorter and writes a new sentence, and so on.

For example:

- She liked to spend a lot of time at the library, reading old books and pondering about life.

The next poster chooses a word, for example old, and a synonym of a different length, for example elderly, and then writes a new sentence.

- He visited his elderly brother in his tiny apartment and listened to some nice, relaxing music with him.

And so on...

Let's get started...

- When she entered the shop that seemed to have magically appeared overnight, she had a strange feeling of déjà vu, even if she was sure she had never seen it before, let alone entered it.

Message 1 of 142
Latest reply
141 REPLIES 141

SOMETIMES - The winter nights can be somewhat brutal, very cold, while sometimes cold can most defintely be refreshing

Message 21 of 142
Latest reply

We’ve got the synonym blues again! With a small change:

SOMETIMES - The winter nights can be somewhat brutal, very cold, while one wouldn’t say that the cold can never  be most definitely refreshing

BRUTAL - Days of shimmering heat burning down upon me are enervating and stifling, arousing in me a sense of violent repulsion and exhaustion, whereas the cold, terrible as it may be, can be borne…

Message 22 of 142
Latest reply

COLD - As she reached the top of the mountain, a chilly breeze welcomed her to a breathtaking view of grandeur all around her and above, at the same time highlighting the littleness and insignificance of daily human fuss down in the valley.

Message 23 of 142
Latest reply

GRANDEUR - I have gazed up at the night sky, my eyes lit by distant stars, and been taken aback and rendered breathless by the glory of the heavens and the vellum-soft roundness of the moon on the full.

(Must remind myself it's SYNONYM...)

Message 24 of 142
Latest reply

NIGHT - If you have always lived in the darkness, you will have to get accustomed to the light very slowly once you find it, or you will be blinded by it instead of recognizing the truth, like the prisoners in Plato's cave.

Message 25 of 142
Latest reply

CAVE - In the dark shackled state of existence, shadows are interpreted by the imprisoned beings, and by the reader/ listener taking in this allegory, as effects of objects (or things whose reality can only be guessed at), and the hollow nature of reality can only discern what is good (so Socrates and Plato reasoned) through reason itself.

Message 26 of 142
Latest reply

SHACKLED - He huddled in the corner of the cold, dark and damp basement, wishing he had never knocked on the door of the decrepit house, for the monstrous resident had chained him up, and he dreaded what other horrors were in store for him.

thanks kat and countess, for correcting my oops moment 🙄

Message 27 of 142
Latest reply

DECREPIT - He entered the abandoned house with trepidation, like a child going on a treasure hunt, but as soon as he entered it, the door behind him was slammed shut by a ferocious gust of wind, and he started hearing laughing and giggling entities everywhere without being able to locate the source of such disturbances, and when he approached the windows, they were suddenly converted into bricks sinisterly merging with the walls surrounding them, one by one, and this is when he realized it was the end, and he started laughing with the entities, which were actually former prisoners of the abandoned house.

Message 28 of 142
Latest reply

papermoon.lady, I like your style!

BRICKS - Within the cool depths of the Pharaoh’s burial chamber, placed in a secret section of this Middle Kingdom pyramid, the walls were painted with a depiction of the soul’s journey through the afterlife, and the silence was like the shadow of dust… until the sound of slabs sliding against each other sent a shudder of unease through the assembled servants of the mummified Pharaoh.

Message 29 of 142
Latest reply

BURIAL - The interment of his wife's body was such a relief, as it meant that there were no suspicions of his involvement in her death, and he could enjoy his life freely without any constraints.

Message 30 of 142
Latest reply