2000 suzuki Jimny bog down when acceleration. Engine light comes on. Going up his. It bog's down.

bobt_2014
Community Member

I have another question and I hope you can help me. My 2000 Suzuki Jimny bog down when I press the pedal for more acceleration. Going up a hill it bog down. When I ease off the pedal the engine run more smoothly. At ideal. It runs smoothly. I just recently (3 weeks) ago did a complete tune up. I bought a Throttle Position Switch (TPS) switch last week. Installed it and the problem continues. It does not run hot. I live on a Island and we do not have any computers to hook up to the engine to see what wrong.

Can you help me.

Thanks,

Bob

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

2000 suzuki Jimny bog down when acceleration. Engine light comes on. Going up his. It bog's down.

I'd be inclined to check the leads are undamaged and replace the spark plugs/air filter. Not enough air and too much fuel will bog a car down, so will not enough spark. Plugs should run about $4 each for NGK copper, do NOT use Bosch plugs in a Japanese car. Plus an air filter should run about $15. 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Leads are okay, new sparks plugs, air filter. Checked and changed all during tune up and service three weeks ago. Do you think it may be the oxygen sensor since you mentioned not enough air and to much fuel?

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Replacing expensive components in the hope of stumbling upon a fix is likely to send you broke. You really need to plug an OBDII code reader into the vehicle's OBDII diagnostics port to see where the problem lies.

You should be able to buy an OBDII scanner from eBay for under $10 (including software) and use your laptop or android phone to get a readout of the fault codes, as well as other relevant engine data. Until then, I wouldn't be replacing any more parts purely on spec.
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

The symptoms tell me that your engine timing is retarded especially when under load for some reason.

Does the engine have a dizzy or does it have multiple coil packs?

The engine designator would help with distant diagnosis.... however if the engine is a g16a then.......

When you push the accelerator down as the revs increase systems in your engine should also advance the ignition

timing.

The engine needs to do this so that when combustion occurs the piston is at the right point of its stroke regardless of

rpm.

Specifically auto advnace occurs because as revs increase then proportionately the time frame for spark production and

distribution and supply decreases

When those auto advance systems fail then the engine will not perform and bog down as you have stated.

Check your ignition timing with a timing light.

A diagnostic technique could include  revving the engine and noting whether the timing increases accordingly

A common cause is a vacuum leak either at the vacuum advance on the dizzy or from the vacuum pipe that feeds it

Another common cause of sudden ignition retard is a worn/stretched timing belt or the distributor moving slightly upon

its adjustment.

Other common causes can include stuck weights/worn springs at the centrifugal mechanical advance plate.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I notice some of the suzuki engines now also have VVT (variable valve timing) technology

Historically engine valve timing in ic engines was always fixed and non variable and set at assembly or during timing

belt change while ignition timing has always been able to be altered and was integral in the tune up procedure

In fact any deviance from the correct vv timing moreover caused engine failure....(google interference engines)

In recent times manufacturers found the need to  also have the valve timing "adjustable:". This is generally acheieved

by an auto adjusting plate on the cam gears.

If that plate sticks or malfunctions then it will also give you the symptoms that your engine possesses. ie incorrect timing

a link below that explains VVT technology

http://www.suzuki.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1015:variable-valve-timing-vvt...

I have always found the forum below helpful

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-jimny-sierra-samurai-forum/index3.html

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Can you reccommend one.  Not all will work on my vehicle. So many to choose from and I don't want to buy one and it is not suitable for my vehicle. I have a 2000 suzuki Jimny 4x4 1.3L 

if you can point me in the right direction. I will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Bob Saunders

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Bob, as long as your Suzi has an OBDII diagnostics port (and most vehicles from around 1997 onwards do) then any of the current ELM327 OBDII scanners should work just fine. They're not expensive and are available with either USB or Bluetooth interfaces. Mine is the latter so I can use it with my Android phone as well as my laptop. They can be picked up from eBay for under $10 from literally 100s of Chinese sellers but the one below is as good as any.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-ELM327-V1-5-Bluetooth-OBD-II-OBD2-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-Adapte...

As you can see from the listing, they provide a substantial amount of diagnostics data and are supplied with a number of different diagnostics programs on the accompanying CD, and while these programs are more than adequate, you can also buy a smartphone app called Android Torque for under $5 which is extremely comprehensive and is arguably the best app of its type available today.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply