Car Buyer scam

curreeki
Community Member
Has anyone had offers to purchase your car from anybody from Malaysia stating they have looked everywhere for this type of car and want to purchase and ship to their country as they have just moved there from Australia they request your paypal address so they can deposit full amount to the account then they will arrange for someone to collect the vehicle and ship it to Malaysia... have had two very similar requests from two different women.
Sounds like a scam to me ???
Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Car Buyer scam

grrr_more_npbs
Community Member
Sounds like a scam to me

curreeki,

Yes, 100% SCAM.

You'll receive a FAKE email from Paypal / Nochex etc stating that payment has been made including 'extra' for the 'agent/ shipping agent'.

Then you'll be told that the money can't be accessed and could you please pay the agent's fee yourself through Western Union.
You'll be told that the money will be released to you when you've done this.

It's all a SCAM.

If you've been replying to these emails, as a precaution run all your spyware, keylogging and virus protection and change your passwords ( something which should be done on a regular basis anyway).

Here's a similar thread where it's been explained to the OP of the thread that's it's all a SCAM and all the emails he's received are FAKE:

http://forums.ebay.com.au/topic/Community-Spirit/Sight-Security/600133756

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

Car Buyer scam

grrr_more_npbs
Community Member
curreeki,

I strongly recommend that while you have no bids, you revise your current listing immediately and remove Paypal as a payment option.

A safe payment option is NOT compulsory in this category and cash on pick up is safer for both buyer and seller.

To add pay on pick up as a payment option, click Revise.

In the 'Decide how you'd like to be paid' band, click Add or Remove options. Tick: Pay on Pick Up. Click save.

Scroll back down the page and you'll then have the option to tick" Pay on pick up.

While you're revising, under the Give buyers Postage details > Domestic Postage Services, click 'Show all postage options'.

Use the drop down box option to show:No postage :Pick up only.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Car Buyer scam

It is a scam and I saw it advertised warinng people the same thing is happening with SMS messages they say to ignore it and do not give any informatin at all
Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Car Buyer scam

kelzshan78
Community Member
There is also emails goin around stating that they are marine engineers and that they cannot get the car and they will deposit the money into your paypal account and a courier will pick the car up....I have received 2 of them but is not using Paypal to sell my item
Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Car Buyer scam

great information on this thread
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Car Buyer scam

angeelx
Community Member
Thanks all this is great information!!!! this just happened to me. Have my car to be sold and have received two sms messages requesting they would be willing to buy but required more details from me!!!!

Revolting really at what great lengths people get up to!!!!!!!!
Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Car Buyer scam

grrrr_more_npbs
Community Member
I'm bumping this thread up to help gobigone2011.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Car Buyer scam

inthesquarecircle
Community Member
I thought I heard about this before so did some checking which bought me here.
I just got the marine engineer story from "John Martins" to buy the vehicle for his brother, so if you get a txt from Jonnymartins re purchase of car my suggestion would be to increase price by a grand and ask for cash.
Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Car Buyer scam

grrrr_more_npbs
Community Member
"so if you get a txt from Jonnymartins re purchase of car my suggestion would be to increase price by a grand and ask for cash"

If anyone receives a text message mentioning the marine engineer rubbish , the best thing to do is to recognise it for what it is.....a SCAM .....and have no contact whatsoever with the SCAMMER / CRIMINAL .

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply