General gripe about Supercheap Auto.

xb50gs
Community Member

So Supercheap auto recently opened up in my town and I went for a wander, not really wanting aything in particular, just having a browse and a stickybeak to see how 'cheap' they really were.

As some of you know, I've worked in spares for about 20 years now and although not currently working due to an injury, I keep up to date with the industry with the hopes of returning one day.

Now first off, in my town there are 4 established auto part stores which have been in town at least 20 years each. Excluding Repco, the 3 other privately owned stores have staff who own modified cars, have all raced at one point or another and all live locally. Repco is the typical Repco who caters more for trade and is too expensive. However, Repco is right next door to Supercheap.

So, anyway, I have a look around and immediately notice things are not cheap! shock horror. Sure, their own brand stuff may be cheap, but its also crap. (I bought a jump starter for my ride on, so far its been returned 4 times in 6 months and it was $179 so not a 'cheap' one)

Example, I needed a battery for my 4wd. I noticed they had a Century N70ZZ and looked at the price. $229. I bought one from the local spares shop for $175 fitted. Supercheap quoted another $15 to fit it. My fanbelt for a Territory was $79.95. I picked up the same brand, same belt for $34.95.

They also didn't carry a common filter (Z115) for my Nissan and wouldn't supply one without me paying freight on it. Great, local spares have a Wesfil on the shelf for $8.95 which was less than the freight SC wanted to charge. Even in a Ryco SC was $49.95 and the local guys were about $22-$29.

They do have a good returns system, which is basically no questions asked, however, if you go to a shop that has knowledgable staff and you're supplied the correct item the first time, you don't need to return an item. I returned a drill to SC as it was faulty and basically I walked in said 'Hi, This doesn't work, its only about 6 weeks old' and I was told to go grab another one! I wonder how many people abuse the returns process!

Anyway, my point is if you do live in a town that has a Supercheap, don't believe the hype, or the name. Fact is, on a LOT of parts, they AREN'T cheaper and most of the staff don't know one end of a car from another. I was pointed in the direction of the catalogue when I asked for filters, and even when I asked if they had a Z115 they didn't know what it actually was.

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: General gripe about Supercheap Auto.

If you need help etc or know what you want go to Odin Auto Parts. Accross the road from NastyCheep Erindale Road Balcatta Perth.

Been there done that.

Message 51 of 56
Latest reply

Been put off by a few of the majpr franchises lately including SC and Repco. actually, BIG W had better producst, prices and service (Exide battery and Mobil Oil) and as for other consumables such as wipers, filters and fluids, going straight to Holden (or whoever makes your car) can often be a fair bit cheaper and youre getting genuine parts with a generous warranty that are often (not always) a superior item..

"Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell" - Peter Brock
Message 52 of 56
Latest reply

atrothe
Community Member

SuperCheap-NO thier not

SPARKPLUGS  My roller is a Mercedes Benz CLK320 wich uses 12 spark plugs. But if you own any brand car which uses PLATINUM plugs then read this.

Here is a facinationg look at PLATINUM spark plugs. Supercheap will sell them to you for around $22-24 each.

My roller is a Mercedes Benz CLK320 wich uses 12 spark pkugs.

You can get double platinum for yor car from AC-Delco for $.7.40 each. Gebuine AC Delco Plugs for Toyotas, Hondas,Mercedes Benz, BMW, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mitshubise,Ford, Holden and many other brands .     Long Life 100 Ks quality plugs..

ANY HOLDEN DEALER PARTS can sell you your PLATINUM plugs way cheaper than SUPERCHEAP.

If you need PLATINUM PLUGS go to the AC delco online catalog (Link Below) 

and enter your make, model, engine and it will give you the part numbers,  then ring a holden dealer and they are yours at a TRUE price.

FORGET A  MAZDA dealer.

MAZDA Maxx Sport Hatch 2006    4 PLUGS

Holden Quoted $7,20 Each           $ 28.8

Supercheap $ 24.79                     $ 95.16

Mazda Dealer #37,.44 Each         $149.76

Hope you all save some cash. Use the AC delco online catalog.

http://www.acdelco.com.au/online-catalogue/acdelco-online-catalogue.html

Cheers

Message 53 of 56
Latest reply

Supercrap Auto!

I bought these SCA home brand items:

Jack and stands set

Undercar garage creeper

Fold-open tool set

A metal safety strap broke on the jack.

One of the holes for the castor wheels on the creeper was drilled on the side of the rail, so I have three wheels down and one sideways (looks hilarious, but still works okay).

The fold-open toolset case doesn't hold the tools properly, so they fall out when you go to close it, or open it.  It's like a prank being played on me every time.

Message 54 of 56
Latest reply

@kaylachampion wrote:
Are you almost 80 percent full of it? Yes. Why? Because I work there. We do not keep belts the cost anything over $40. We do not and never have installed batteries due to insurance reasons. So where did you get $15 from. We stock at least 30z115 at anyone time . And god forbid we are employing young ones and giving them a chance to earn and learn. I mean they are only our future

That sounds more like my experience at super cheap. I am not really a big car person but on the few times I have needed something like oil or whatever I am happy to go to supercheap they always offer a responsible price I can go in buy my stuff and get out. If I go to a dealer they want to give me the history of cars and what makes them go like I care. If SuperCheap are alf as bad as the OP and others reckon they would of closed a long time a go seem to be going strong to me must be doing something right

Message 55 of 56
Latest reply

Yup, looking to get some brighter H4 60/55W 12V, one of the most common bulbs and SupercrapAuto have the NARVA H4 plus 120 for $82 when they are available from every man and his dog on ebay for under $48, that is a massive price difference on such a common item. Strangely enought there is only one review on the Supercrap site for the NARVA plus 120 and in that review it points out that you can get them for under $50 from ebay. So you have to give them credit for posting that.

Message 56 of 56
Latest reply