Posible scam

pjamms
Community Member

Saw a RAV4 listed this morning that sounded great. I quickly emailed the seller about 30 mins after it went up and got no reply. I looked back over the ad thinking there might be a catch and realised the title was RAV4 but mention toyota kluger further down then I noted it was a NSW location but Victoria number plate. The seller had no other items for sale and over 100 sales 100% feedback. the ad asked for contact to be via a different email address not ebay RV412@AMOBILS.COM this I thought was odd so I email both addresses. I never got a response but my computer started mucking up tonight and after a scan I found viruses. I went back looking for the ad to see what was going on with it and it had been removed but there ws another listing this time a Prado with a bifferent seller 300+ sales and 100% feedback the listing read very similar but this time the email request was PRADO@AMOBILS.COM. can any one tell me what is achieved from this behaviour and have they now got access to my computer or ebay account and am I now going to find my account being used some how by a fraud.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Posible scam

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I would say they have part of what they want....an email address and possibly a name and/or phone number if you gave it in the email.  Just be careful of any phishing emails you may receive in future.

Did you take any notice of what the items were that the seller had sold on the account and when they were sold?  It sounds to me like it may have been a hijacked account.  If it had been inactive for a while and the car was not the sort of thing the account owner had been selling then it is a good chance that it was hijacked.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Posible scam

Thanks for the reply, its definitely a scam I got the all too familiar email- the car is in the hands of the shipping company blah blah blah. I feel sorry for the people who are bidding on the current car as I have no way of warning them although its so common now hopefully they will expect it's not for real.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply