What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?

๐Ÿ˜

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?

:^O HAHAHA

Message 61 of 69
Latest reply

Maybe Dad kept a tin of kero in the shed for the kerosene telly ;\

Message 62 of 69
Latest reply

I managed to pump 30 Litres of ULP in my  i30 Turbo Diesel one morning.

Can anyone guess what happened....?

Message 63 of 69
Latest reply

my guess is it came to a fairly sudden stop a short distance down the road.

The hilux is still going strong, so I guess it's safe to say the newer diesel motors can handle a bit of petrol.

Message 64 of 69
Latest reply

I think it's safer to say you have been very very lucky....so far

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/10/18/269791_tasmania-news.html

In the past year he was aware of four instances in Tasmania where expensive diesel cars, such as BMWs and Volvos, had their engines destroyed.

Typically the cars started and ran OK for about 1km, using up the residual diesel in the fuel system, before they began to rattle.

"Then they just stop," he said. "That's bad."

RACT is now offering motorists a $75 ($65 for members) device which can replace the fuel cap on most diesel models. It will only admit the standard sized diesel nozzles.

"It's a very cheap insurance policy," Mr Moody said.

this second article explains how much of the engine damage from the incorrect petrol fill may not show up for months

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2737057/A-costly-mistake.html

Petrol wrecks diesel engine lubrication processes and is particularly damaging to a diesel engine's costly, high-pressure fuel pump, which operates at up to 2,050bar (30,000psi). Petrol removes the pump case hardening and if a film of hardened metal disintegrates into swarf it will greatly harm or even wreck an engine's internal organs.

At best, if the engine is not started or perhaps run only very briefly, the fuel tank and its internal pump, fuel lines, main high-pressure pump, fuel injectors and filters will all require removal, clearing and re-installation (which might include some renewal) at a cost of up to ยฃ7,000. At worst, several parts will need replacing, even the engine itself, at a potential cost of ยฃ12,000, or more for a top executive car.

just quoting a 2001 2.8 litre TF Rodeo turbo and fuel pump...made it 9 kms on petrol, lost power (boost) and then stopped

3k odd for parts... not quite 5k including labour

http://www.mynrma.com.au/about/media/1-in-10-caught-out-by-wrong-fuel.htm

February 2012................. 1 in 10 caught out with wrong fuel...............

An NRMA Motoring & Services survey has revealed that one-in-10 motorists have filled a motor vehicle with incorrect fuel, with almost half of those blaming confusing signage at the bowser.

The NRMA survey of more than 1,300 motorists found (17%) of those who filled up with the incorrect fuel had put petrol in a diesel engine, which has the potential to cause considerable damage to the engine.  A further 5% had put diesel in a petrol engine which, means the vehicle will stop soon after starting, require towing and a fuel system service.

The NRMA survey also found that 10 per cent of those who filled up with the wrong fuel were left with a damage bill of up to $500, an additional 5 per cent said their bill reached as high as $1,000.

In addition, the survey showed men were more likely to have filled a vehicle with the incorrect fuel than women. The findings also showed three quarters of respondents (76%) incorrectly filled their own vehicle, followed by a company vehicle (11%) and then a family memberโ€™s vehicle (10%).

The NRMA has introduced a fuel evacuation service trial for motorists within the Sydney Metro area who have inadvertently filled their vehicle with the incorrect fuel type. The service where available will be free for Members during this trial period

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 65 of 69
Latest reply

DO NOT TURN THE KEY! Even if you don' start the engine turning the key will cause the pump to circulate petrol through the system. BYE BYE ENGINE!

The vehicle must be towed to a diesel mecanic who will drain the entire fuel sytem and flush it with diesel.

Petrol acts as a solvent and remove the protective lubricant film. This causes metal on metal wear in the injector pump and fuel system. The metal particles will cause severe engine and fuel sytem damage.

Petrol does not detonate ("explode") in a diesel engine. It simply causes severe wear due to a lack of lubrication.  [Diesel army tanks are designed to run on petrol as an emergency fuel.]

Message 66 of 69
Latest reply

i worked for BP oil for around 2 and a half years, i can tell you petrol may say its 91 octane however they manufacture and sell it at the pumps it is in fact around 97 octane however they sell it as 91 octane, so you are talking rubbish, dont believe me ask them next time you fill up thast is if you get someone on to it at a petrol station and not some cashier who only blurts out dollar amounts and trys to upsell you garbage, i am also an automotive technician by trade or mechanic, If you have auto technicians thanking you for this they must be stupid mechanics your dealing with

@colic2bullsgirlore wrote:

I only use standard unleaded (92) in small engines ie lawnmowers, pumps. (and if I remember blend 50/50 92/95) I would like 5 cents for every mates car I have "tuned up" (after they have fiddled, replaced,added additives for eons) by waiting for their tank too be nearly empty, bunging in a full tank of premium and then finding somewhere that I can nail the accelerator to the floor many times for an extended period.

Only run your multi pistoned engine at a minimum of 95 octane rating

... your engine, your mechanic and your hip pocket will all thank you

Message 67 of 69
Latest reply

@michaelw9499 wrote:

i worked for BP oil for around 2 and a half years, i can tell you petrol may say its 91 octane however they manufacture and sell it at the pumps it is in fact around 97 octane however they sell it as 91 octane, so you are talking rubbish, dont believe me ask them next time you fill up thast is if you get someone on to it at a petrol station and not some cashier who only blurts out dollar amounts and trys to upsell you garbage, i am also an automotive technician by trade or mechanic, If you have auto technicians thanking you for this they must be stupid mechanics your dealing with

@colic2bullsgirlore wrote:

I only use standard unleaded (92) in small engines ie lawnmowers, pumps. (and if I remember blend 50/50 92/95) I would like 5 cents for every mates car I have "tuned up" (after they have fiddled, replaced,added additives for eons) by waiting for their tank too be nearly empty, bunging in a full tank of premium and then finding somewhere that I can nail the accelerator to the floor many times for an extended period.

Only run your multi pistoned engine at a minimum of 95 octane rating

... your engine, your mechanic and your hip pocket will all thank you

Maaate...next time you are around that 92 octane fuel ..that is really 97 octane fuel...try not to inhale so much of it

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 68 of 69
Latest reply

I put..... Filled my diesel with fuel. Drove it a couple kms. Wondered what that tinny sound was when I gave some gas. Did it a few times trying to pinpoint it. Anyhow. It stopped and I pulled over. Wouldn't start back up. Drained tank. Drained n primed fuel filter. And off I went. Made a sound for a month or so
Message 69 of 69
Latest reply