gq 4x4

Hi,

I have a 1991 GQ Partol Auto, with a 4.2 motor on duel fuel.

Can anybody suggest if it is possible to fit a different motor?

I would like to use a 351 C.I. ford motor or better still the 390 C.I. FE motor.

Can any body tell me if there are conversion plates that would allow replace  the motor,

and allow me to keep the original Nissan auto trans?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards, John.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

gq 4x4

Google dellow conversions . There is one on ebay for the manual gearbox conversion. You only need to get Dellow

to substitute an auto bellhousing adaptor and flywheel...

Ford V8 289-302-351 to Nissan Patrol GQ-GU 4.2L Manual Conversion

This very popular conversion kit for the Nissan Patrol GQ-GU 4.2L uses the Ford V8 to replace the factory petrol or diesel engine, which is expensive to rebuild. The Ford V8 is powerful, economical and also offers easy maintenance and peace of mind, knowing replacement parts can be found anywhere, a comforting thought when travelling around Australia.

Our conversion kit comes with the following parts:
Bellhousing
Spigot Bush
Thrust Race Extension
Clutch & Pressure Plate Kit
Engine Mount Brackets
Engine Mount Rubbers
Flywheel
Flywheel & Pressure Plate Bolt Kit

I would put some time ( and costing) into considering doing a VV body upgrade to your existing transmission to help

tame the extra ponies

.. More info here

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=8169

Nissan Patrol Heavy Duty Nomad RE4R03A Valve Body
Rodney Hudson-Davies posted at 6/3/2012

Our new Heavy Duty Nissan GQ and GU Patrol "Nomad" Valve Body makes all the difference.

Often we hear owners complaining about the quality of their Nissan Automatic Transmission when shifting through the gears, most come from everyday drivers who simply can't stand the slipping and flaring between the gears.

We have had dozens of owners contact us about improving the transmission in some way to overcome the problem.

We put together a development program and have come up with a cheap and easy way to turn your Nissan Patrol transmission into a firm shifting transmission without having to remove the transmission from the car, Simply remove the valve body and exchange it for one of our Stage II Recalibrated Extreme Nissan Patrol Valve Bodies.

The valve body comes with easy to read instructions for the removal and refitting of the new valve body.

The valve body has undergone a tremendous amount of testing including Nissan Patrols that have had Turbo Chargers, Super Chargers and even large V8 Conversions done and in every single case the customer has been quite overwhelmed about the difference the New Valve Body made to the vehicle.

You may also need a rear wheel brake upgrade to discs if you have drums at the moment..(which I think you will have)

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

gq 4x4

Thank you viewmont1075.

That is great advice.

The updated valve body looks good too.

Regards, John.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

gq 4x4

If you google marks 4wd adaptors you will find whart is now becoming a more common replacement using  fuel

injected extremely late model engines hooked to their original gearboxes.

http://www.marks4wd.com/bell-housing-adaptors/nissan/patrol.html

A transfer case adaptor is then used so that the 4wd capability is maintained.

Nissan and GM are preferred over the older Ford v8 engines. As petrol evolves older carbied engines are becoming

less capable to accomodate octane and raw product changes.

http://www.marks4wd.com/bell-housing-adaptors/nissan/patrol.html

ls3 conversion on the dyno below ..390 odd hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5FxGOQUZ9Q

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply