Should l send my parcel with a signature request?

Is it suggested to use signature required postage? I want to ensure my item is received but l also want to keep the cost down. Thanks

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Should l send my parcel with a signature request?

@simbaroo*1 wrote:
Thanks that makes good sense. So just to get a rough idea how much does it generally cost you to send parcels under 5kg. I will calculate it myself but just want a rough idea. Thanks again!

You can check this out via the Australia Post website, anything over 1 KG goes by weight and size. Weights up to 5Kgs are supposed to be flat rate, but only if they fit into a small size box, larger boxes and the price goes up.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

@simbaroo*1 wrote:

Geez l didn't know you have to refund the buyer if the item is lost or stolen. And what about dodgey buyers?? I'm sure they exist too. So do you do signature request for all your items....even the less expensive ones?

Sure there are dodgy buyers, a reason I never asked if any buyer received their safe dropped parcel, I just felt relieved when they left feedback, but since many do not, it caused me worry each time. At least with signature on delivery, it has to be handed to a person, so that covers you as a Seller. Who wants the hassle and distress of when something goes missing, regardless of what the outcome might be. eBay always sides with the buyer. I don't want the hassle of having to deal with disputes of this sort, with the many stories on here over the years of the seller always being the loser, not to mention the stress of it all. Luckily, i never lost anything, but I have read of many others who have, and it is not something I wish to go through. Australia Post covers lost and damaged parcels for up to $100 and until recently I  had assumed this would cover items that were safe dropped, but as you can see by their website, it does not. They would have to cover lost or damaged items they lose in transit. For expensive items, I would add insurance.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

@simbaroo*1 wrote:
Thanks that makes good sense. So just to get a rough idea how much does it generally cost you to send parcels under 5kg. I will calculate it myself but just want a rough idea. Thanks again!

You can check this out via the Australia Post website, anything over 1 KG goes by weight and size. Weights up to 5Kgs are supposed to be flat rate, but only if they fit into a small size box, larger boxes and the price goes up.

Incorrect.

ANY standard AP packaging, including small, medium, large and extra large satchels and boxes are good for 5kg. And have been since October last year.

]

The rates differ depending on size, but they are all flat rate and good for 5kg.

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

I just saw this on AP website. This is saying AP will cover costs up to $100. This is why l ask so many lamen questions. I'm confused by all the different information floating around

Services Compensation available for lost or damaged articles under the Australia Post Terms & Conditions

Domestic Parcel services

• Parcel Post
  • Express Post
  • Express Post Platinum
  • Courier Post

Up to $100

+ Extra Cover up to $5,000 if purchased

+ Postage refund

International Parcel services

• Economy (when purchased with Signature on Delivery)
  • Standard
  • Express
  • Courier

Up to $100

+ Extra Cover up to $5,000 if purchased (available for a limited number of international services and destinations)

+ Postage refund

Note: Extra Cover for the Economy service is only available for articles up to $500.

Domestic Letter services

• Domestic Letter with Tracking

Up to $100

+ Extra Cover up to $500 if purchased

+ Postage refund

Registered Post

• Domestic
  • International

Up to $100

+ Extra Cover up to $5,000 if purchased (not available for Registered Post International)

+ Postage refund

Domestic and international (prepaid economy air) letters

No compensation for loss or damage as Australia Post has no liability pursuant to section 34 of the Australian Postal Corporation Act 1989.

Extra Cover is not available to purchase.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

Btw lm not disputing what you're saying. I would have thought that seller was responsible for reimbursing a missing item but now I'm not sure after reading the above from the  AP website.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

So there's discrepancy about it on the AP website because what you found clearly states they won't be responsible. I find this all rather confusing. Will have to ask them in person but then you may get a different response depending who you ask.

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Just because a seller pays for signature on delivery, registered post or any other service requiring proof of delivery does not mean that the buyer cannot overrule that.

I lodged an Authority to Leave with the post office some 15 years ago and never need to sign for anything.  My contractor knows my safe drop place and just leaves everything there.

If a post office employee knocks on my door I know that my contractor is not working.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

If an item is stolen after being safe dropped neither eBay or PayPal will refund, it becomes a police matter. Isn’t the buyer or the sellers fault. And signature has been disabled for months due to COVID so is really pointless right now.
Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

@gillians_gallery wrote:
That’s not true, if tracking shows delivered neither eBay nor PayPal will force you to refund the buyer, that is their loss.

You are wrong, if the parcel is tracked but does not have signature on delivery then you have agreed to the parcel being safe dropped. Do you really think you can say "too bad" to the buyer if it goes missing and get away with it? No doubt it will get you a negative as well. It is the seller's responsibility to get the item delivered, if you have agreed to the safe drop then you are responsible, and I have seen cases where the seller has had to refund in these circumstances. Ebay will make sure the buyer is refunded have no doubt, and it will come out of your pocket. I am posting the article from Australia Post's website here regarding safe dropping. Take note of the section I have highlighted with a red box.

What a load of rubbish. EBay requires tracking to show as delivered.Not that a parcel has been taken inside. If tracking says delivered, the seller is safe.

I did have a buyer open an not received dispute once. They lived in a tiny rural town with a population of less than 100. Most people would know most people. The parcel was sent to their PO box and showed as being delivered 2 weeks before they opened the dispute. After copping abuse after abuse, I suggested she go to her PO and ask. The post master said it was probably put in the wrong PO box.Take it up with them, not my problem.

I told her she may as well close the dispute because I would win. Surprisingly, she did. Then she left negative feedback. I sent eBay an email and the feedback was removed less than half an hour later. I am one of the few people on the planet who was always successful with email contact, before they removed that as a contact option.

As for safe drop, I have never agreed to anything of the sort. You are making things up.

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Do you know who reimburses the customer? Sounds like nobody does. I don't know??

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply