We are new to eBay and we are looking for cheap alternative to AUS Post!

Hi,

We are new to eBay and we are trying to find the best postal optons for our letters to parcels. Aussie Post seems to be very expensive for Parcels especially and I could really do with some ideas of where else to go to for a cheaper delviery service. If anyone can help please let me know.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.  

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Depending on weight, couriers are generally only marginally cheaper than AP. And you could have issues with buyers. I won't use couriers, because I am not home during the day, and I'm not particularly enthusiastic about having to drive 20km to collect.

If you have the volume, AP give significant discounts through MyPost Business. Also, eBay postage is cheaper than AP for the equivalent size AP product. Especially B1 boxes.

For letters, AP is the only game in town.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you do decide to give couriers a try be sure to make it clear in your listings that you are using courier delivery and preferably who you are using.

Some of us will not buy from a seller who uses couriers for various reasons....and some buyers refuse to deal with certain couriers.

You could find your feedback suffering if the buyer is expecting AP and gets a courier delivery.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

zeden
Community Member

After 18 years, we have not found a cheaper alternative to AUS Post. However, we have found some ways to economise using AUS Post.  First is to avoid using satchels for items under 500g. Scrounge where you can, all cardboard boxes under 20mm width; and/or use light cardboard to stiffen envelopes within the 260mm x 360mm x 20mm size for large letters.  Then use the large letter rate.  Its more time consuming, but it does save.  I have another economy gimmick which I do not wish to make public.<removed for your privacy>   if interested.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

That only works for items thinner than 20mm packed.

Plenty of things don't fit that criterion.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

A lot of couriers won't deliver to remote areas. For this and the other reasons already mentioned by other members I find it simpler just to use Aust Post for everything (it also means all tracking etc is in the one place)

Satchels are economcal and come in assorted sizes (but, as already mentioned, don't use the 500 gram ones-cheaper just to send in a box).

There are (up to 1kg, 3kg & 5kg) satchels. With the 1 kg sachels you have to buy 10 at a time.

It is cheaper to buy the others in 10 packs as you get a discount (and a further discount if you buy 100).

They can also be bought on eBay in bulk (10, 20 etc) a bit cheaper than the post office sells them.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@rocket2retro wrote:

A lot of couriers won't deliver to remote areas. For this and the other reasons already mentioned by other members I find it simpler just to use Aust Post for everything (it also means all tracking etc is in the one place)

Satchels are economcal and come in assorted sizes (but, as already mentioned, don't use the 500 gram ones-cheaper just to send in a box).

There are (up to 1kg, 3kg & 5kg) satchels. With the 1 kg sachels you have to buy 10 at a time.

It is cheaper to buy the others in 10 packs as you get a discount (and a further discount if you buy 100).

They can also be bought on eBay in bulk (10, 20 etc) a bit cheaper than the post office sells them.

AP own packaging (which means you have to find something appropriate to package it in) - $7.95

AP 500g prepaid satchel in 10 packs - $8.075

eBay 500g satchel - $7.55 + 15-25c

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply