Navigating Centrelink and eBay Business Transition: Questions and Concerns

Hey there,

I’m based in Brisbane, Australia, and I’ve been receiving jobseeker payments from Centrelink on a fortnightly basis. Initially, I was actively looking for work, but I started selling used car parts as a side gig. It’s been great, and I’ve found it both profitable and enjoyable. Working on cars and learning about them has always been a passion of mine, almost like a hobby.

I’ve noticed some good sales and it got me thinking - could I turn this into a full-time venture? So, I decided to invest in my eBay store, purchasing a membership and establishing a professional selling ‘name’. I take this seriously and want to be seen as a reliable seller.

However, I’m a bit unsure about a few things:

1. Should I report my income from eBay to Centrelink?
2. Is it time to get an ABN and officially register this as a business, especially since I’ve already sold 90 items?
3. Do I need to be concerned about the ATO or Centrelink in this scenario?
4. If I do go ahead and get an ABN and register the business, what will Centrelink’s response be?
5. Was it a mistake for me to transition my eBay account into an eBay store with a professional name?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Pay for professional advice, or seek rulings from the relevant departments

The advice you receive on eBay's discussion forums will not be backed by professional liability cover, as would be the case if you consulted of registered, profession accountant or registered tax agent.

The ATO has advice on their website about eBay type activities, but I say this having zero qualifications in tax or financial matters, so feel free to apply the first paragraph of this reply post and ignore me.  I will not be offended.  Start babbling on about paint and the gloves will come off though 🤣

edit : the paint guy is in Vic, erg was in qld.  Are you erg?

etb321
Community Member

You should report additional earnings to centerlink. There's plenty on the web regarding the obligations of a jobseeker recipient.  I found this;

'If you earn above $150 per fortnight, your payment reduces by 50 cents for each dollar between $150 and $256 then by 60 cents for each dollar over $256.

Your in a bit of a bind,  every dollar you make on ebay is only worth 50c (or 40c). 

They are required to jump on any opportunity to reduce payments  so I suggest you do your homework and understand the situation fully before contacting them.