10% tax on sales to USA?

Just sold $128 to a USA buyer and ebay charged $12.8 tax on behalf of authorities.

I think USA does not charge any tax for items below 200 US$. So this tax is really strange. 

Anyone understand this new tax? many thanks in advance

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 10% tax on sales to USA?

This has been in place for a while, but 10% doesn't seem right for CA. My last sale there (CA specifically, I mean) was priced at $6.95 with $16.50 postage, and the buyer was charged 51c sales tax, which is roughly 7.5% of the item price.  (This was via a different ecommerce site, but it should be consistent across all of them - or so I would expect).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Probably a State sales tax and not an import tax.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

California sale tax is 7.5%, instead of 10%. So it does not look like state sale tax

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Many of the individual states have started charging an online tax. All my USA buyers have it and the rate varies from state to state. It's charged at checkout and collected by the platform and remitted to the specific state. My items generally fall under $200, but the buyer is charged regardless of the value. It has been rolling out in the USA for many months, starting I believe from 2019.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

This has been in place for a while, but 10% doesn't seem right for CA. My last sale there (CA specifically, I mean) was priced at $6.95 with $16.50 postage, and the buyer was charged 51c sales tax, which is roughly 7.5% of the item price.  (This was via a different ecommerce site, but it should be consistent across all of them - or so I would expect).

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Maybe the Trump 10% tax on imports. Was the item made in Gina? 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Many thanks!
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks so much!. That really helps!

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

There is no an international selling fee (additional) of  1 percent and a seller currency conversion charge of 3 percent added to the other fees. I sold an item to an Australian for $318 plus $10.50 postage and my fees were nearly $43.00. My payments are on hold even though I was welcomed recently via email into the new improved payments scheme and was asked to supply bank details again which I have already supplied and upload a picture id which I have already done. Total disaster. Is it the case that listing is now free to all up to 250,000 items or did I dream it and if so why continue to own a shop?

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@myprivatecollectionvintagejewellery wrote:

. Is it the case that listing is now free to all up to 250,000 items or did I dream it and if so why continue to own a shop?

Read our full terms for fees when listing an item

• All sellers with an Australian registration address are entitled to 250,000 free insertion fees per month for items listed in auction-style or fixed price format in most categories, including relisted items and listings that are ended early.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-without-ebay-store?id=4822

If appears that the 250,000 is for everybody on managed payments, not just stores.   So the benefits of stores are less final value fees, and  better search results (but this bit is unproven IMO)

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply