212 Views for one product?

liw48
Community Member

Hi all, in the U.S. and watching a couple of my items for sale on EB US.  One of the items has 212 views, 6 watchers  and no sales.  This is a head scratcher.  I see a lot of "views" meaning visits, but no sales, and wonder if anyone has figured out why so many views and no sales.  Has it happened to you?

Another item has over 50 views.  And I relist this item every month, and yet -- no one buys it.  The prices are compatible.

Sometimes I wish I could get the email addys of the viewers to ask them why they are watching or viewing and not buying.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This has happened to me a number of times with my car posters.  My guess is that someone on a car enthusiast forum posted a link to my item to share and show it with others and they all clicked the link to see it as well.  It might suddenly jump in views but doesn't translate into sales right away.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Competitors?

Bots?

I have no idea how many views my items get, as I'm interested in sales not tyrekickers.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

This has happened to me a number of times with my car posters.  My guess is that someone on a car enthusiast forum posted a link to my item to share and show it with others and they all clicked the link to see it as well.  It might suddenly jump in views but doesn't translate into sales right away.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

There have been glitches with views recently. I had one non descript item recieved over 5000 views in the first couple of days of listing and it didnt sell. I dont think they where real views, it was just a glitch. At the same time I noticed another item with several hundred views. Again it had to be a glitch. There was nothing outstanding about that item.

Collectable motor vehicles and motor cycles can often recieve genuine views in the thousands and hundreds of watches. Rare car and motor cycle parts can also recieve views in the hundreds and 50-80 watches is not uncommon, but they usually sell with animated bidding unless they are priced too high to start with.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

i have my doubts about the views/watching system.

everything on ebay has its glitches, i think this is just another one.

some items get 'unusual' views whilst others get no views one week and stacks the next.

some items have a lot of 'watchers' but never get a bid week after week.

so while i do look at the views/watch numbers i dont just believe them.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Why watching, viewing, and not buying?

I can answer that for me.

I keep things on my watch page while I look at other, similar items. Can have five or six near-identical things under "watch".

If the price is good, I'll then buy one.

If it isn't...I won't. I'll keep them all on the watch page until one goes on sale. Then I get that one.

Views? I might look at several items before buying one or watching it. Looking, to see what the details are, can be a quick "nah...not what I want/expected" to a full read-through.

So for turning views into sales, I'd be thinking make the title and first photo, tell the story as effectively as possible. So the rest matches expectations. Fewer "wasted views" as people click in then out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

People like me are probably the culprits.

I tend to view anything that takes my interest, even if I am not actually in the market to buy.

Quite often I will even 'watch' an item when it is unlikely I will buy.

I am currently watching a heap of jewellery from one seller. It's not out of the question that I could buy, I might get something but I certainly wouldn't go mad and buy the lot. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the items so the seller should not feel bad if the

watcher (me) does not bid.

Other times I have watched items that are similar to what I plan on selling, so i can go back and see how their sale went and if they have any good descriptive words.

Then there are the times I do wish to buy but haven't decided which item. It's not always about price, by the way.

So my take on it is don't worry-the more views the better (though some would be from multiple views by the same people & I guess even the seller loking at his own listing will count as one) & only some watchers plan to buy, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with your listing.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply