30 day return policy on 2ndhand books. I am concerned about being used as a library any thoughts

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: 30 day return policy on 2ndhand books. I am concerned about being used as a library any thought

I do free postage on books (mind you, I have only sold two). Some fit into a large letter envelope.

Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

Re: 30 day return policy on 2ndhand books. I am concerned about being used as a library any thought

The return policy on a listing is meant to be for what the seller offers in addition to a buyer's standard consumer rights, so it is meant to specifically address what they will do in case of things like change of mind, so it can be conditional. (eg unopened, unused, all tags / packaging in tact etc). I think it's probably wise to make it clear what circumstances conditions like that apply to, so that people don't mistakenly think they can't get a refund etc if they open an item and it's faulty. 

Sealing second-hand books may not be cost-effective enough to provide a 30-day money back return, and although the "Premium Sevice" badging might be appealing, anecdotally those who have implemented all the requirements (thus far) have not reported any discernible increase in sales / traffic or rankings, so I personally wouldn't view it as something that has to be done to be successful. I have not implemented any of the requirements (I sell jewellery), and my sales are still increasing, rather than decreasing, in what is a fairly saturated and competitive market.

Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

I don't accept returns and have never been asked for returns.  I am a second hand book seller.

I don't think it has affected my standing and  I am not listing without free listings.

I just don't think second hand books have an extra $1.50 in them that I can justify.

I also don't do free postage, they pay that on top. 

Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

Thanks for all the advice.  Quite thought provoking

Yes a book can be read in less than a day which is why I don't think this policy should apply but it probably is a case of good luck with that. However as they say if you expect the best sometimes you may get it. Thanks for the directions to ebay

I will look at costs for shrink wrapping the novels. and a restocking fee altogether making it the cost of the book  would probably attract a lot of negs if the items were returned for change of mind

The reason I'm checking what I need ! One of my books was the only onein Australia but there were nearly 150 in front of mine all from overseas. 

The reason for th

Message 14 of 31
Latest reply

My concern is without free postage and 30 day change of mind return ebay puts us further down in the ebay search list under the default best match search.

I haven't had any retuns either so we must be descibing the books correctly. However I do offer returns if incorrectly described as legally in Australia that is required

Thanks

Message 15 of 31
Latest reply

My concern is without free postage and 30 day change of mind return ebay puts us further down in the ebay search list under the default best match search.

Tell that to all the sellers who fulfil all the requirements but come here complaing their items are way down the list in BM.

I honestly don't think it makes any difference and to save worrying about it I never go and search for my own items, if I don't know where they appear it cannot bother me.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 16 of 31
Latest reply

your Frank L.Wright and Richard Meier both have same photos and a spelling error in title of the  Meier....

warning many book buyers are sticklers for correct spelling.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

Oh. Thanks for the tip off

Much appreciated

Message 18 of 31
Latest reply

Ok

Thanks.  Maybe I'll just suck it and see. Didn't known the above standard sellers had a problem. 

Cheers

'

Message 19 of 31
Latest reply

@hawkerdemon wrote:

Ok

Thanks.  Maybe I'll just suck it and see. Didn't known the above standard sellers had a problem. 

Cheers

'

Once you have enough transactions under you belt to qualify as a PowerSeller, you will also be able to qualify as a Top Rated seller, so you can be more than Above Standard without having Premium Services, and eBay do say normal TRS gives you a boost in rankings. Top Rated status is not visible to buyers except on your feedback profile, but applies to you as a seller so should affect all of your listings (even if just a little), whereas TRS+ or Premium Services badging is listing-specific and will apply only to the ones that meet all the requirements (you do have to be a Top Rated Seller for the requirements to get you a Premium Services badge). So, if you just wanted a few listings to have a (possible) boost in exposure, you could offer it just on books that would be the cheapest to seal and list with free postage. 

PowerSeller (and therefore Top Rated Seller), will come into effect after you've made 100 transactions or more with a total value of US$1000 or more (in any 12 month period), so even if you implemented the Premium Service requirements now, you wouldn't get the badge on listings unless and until you hit PowerSeller / Top Rated status. 

Message 20 of 31
Latest reply