A bit of advice please

I recently sold a Glasshouse candle,these are in pretty thick glass and in a box,it was posted wrapped in large bubble wrap.I received a msg from the buyer saying it arrived broken he didn't think it was my fault as it was wrapped securely.He was going to the PO to complain as he thought it was there fault.Today I get a msg saying he wants a replacement as PO said there not to blame,I asked for photos which he sent.He said this is how it looked when I unwrapped it,is it just me but I am wondering why the box is all torn in the first photo the lid is on but the second the sides of the jar are all in the centre.Should I refund him I have sent a couple of these and never had a problem.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

A bit of advice please

That picture is so blurry. So bad I can't even see what is in the box. I would ask for more pictures

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

A bit of advice please

Unless you packed it to withstand 20Kgs from waist height (AP standard), then the problem is yours I'm sorry to say. Glass or fragile items should always be double boxed with crushed paper or bubble wrap between them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

A bit of advice please

Definitely tell the buyer that the picture they sent was insufficient to make a determination and that you require at least 2-3 clear images of the damage to make a decision.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

A bit of advice please

What packaging did you put INSIDE the item? Did it completely fill the available space?

Bunging a bit of bubble wrap outside a hollow item is a waste of bubblewrap.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

A bit of advice please

@davewil1964 wrote:

What packaging did you put INSIDE the item? Did it completely fill the available space?

Errr, I think it was filled with candle wax dave....................true.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

A bit of advice please

@padi*0409 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

Not a given. Even then, was it double-boxed?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

A bit of advice please

@davewil1964 wrote:

@padi*0409 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

Not a given. Even then, was it double-boxed?

I agree the packaging needs to be really solid, inside and out, and double boxed if necessary. I've done some crazy packaging jobs in my time, so solid and cushioned, could be kicked around like a football, stomped on. With the exception of a truck running over it, it WILL arrive undamaged. I absolutely agree it is the seller's responsibility to get it to the buyer undamaged.

However it is the oldest trick in the book for dodgy buyers to stage pictures and send through distant and/or blurry pictures. The picture shown here, the buyer may be legitimate, but also might have put any broken glass in the box. The pictures need to clearly show the item is the same as the one you sent. IMO anyway

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

A bit of advice please

Thanks for all the advise,I am just going to refund.The point I was trying to make was he said this is how it was when I unwrapped the bubble wrap.I can't understand how the box was torn down both sides,okay the candle was broken but it was wrapped why is the box torn up it is a lined box not easy to tear.Maybe I am just seeing what I want to see.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply