A negative in "return" ?

Hi all,

There is a buyer wanting a return / refund of a small amount ($15) for new components, of which I have sold many hundred.

Reason / slow delivery (we are in Central NSW), found cheaper / better elsewhere (the fact that they are graded Stainless Steel / perhaps overlooked?).

Ebay says I have a number of choices; Likely if I decline (one of the choices which closes the claim) that a Negative will be the follow through from a buyer I reckon.

Not worth the conflict / just refund if the kit is returned complete.

Anyone else ?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

A negative in "return" ?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

A negative from the buyer will be the least of your worries if the buyer opens a dispute and asks ebay to step in.   You would be forced to refund and get a defect into the bargain.

Just offer a refund if the item is returned.  I would not pay the return postage as there is nothing wrong with the item...it is change of mind.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

A negative in "return" ?

@20semester20 wrote:

Ebay says I have a number of choices; Likely if I decline (one of the choices which closes the claim) that a Negative will be the follow through from a buyer I reckon.

If eBay is giving you the option to decline the request, the buyer would have received a warning when they opened the request that you are not obligated to accept the return. 

If you accept the request, in the interest of goodwill or what have you, the buyer will be required to return the item to you via tracked postage, and will receive a refund of the item price, but not postage (if that was charged separately). They would (or should) only be able to escalate the dispute and get eBay to issue a refund if you accept the request, receive the item back, and don't process a refund via the return system. 

Personally, I do accept change of mind returns so buyers can request to return things to me for any reason at all (as long as the item is in the same condition as when sent), and because of that I don't actually get the option to decline return requests like these, so the reality is the buyer is asking for something it doesn't seem like you offered in the first place, and while it could make them grumpy, I suspect you would have a good chance of having a negative removed if it said something like "wouldn't accept a return", or words to the same effect (though if they said something different, it could be a battle to get eBay to remove it). 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

A negative in "return" ?

Thank you for your time in replying; It is appreciated.

I have offered to return the kit of fasteners and if intact when returned with tracking I will refund, after all it is the cost of a couple of drinks and we just above the poverty line; So no real problem to do away with any conflict. Smiley Happy

The buyer wants the delivery address, even though it is part of the agreement channel in ebay, because I saw it verified before I committed to the return; Ho hum; better go answer the question lest something else happen!

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

A negative in "return" ?

Thank you for your detailed response and experience here; It is most appreciated, as I said above I decided to accept the request and forget; Either way there will be some "comeback" of some sort / sellers expect this, from what I have noticed.

🙂
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply