AP pausing parcel collections in Melbourne again Oct 1 - Oct 6

For eParcel and Parcel Post, all pickups, collections and business lodgements in Greater Melbourne Metro will be paused for five days, from 12.01am Friday 1 October to 12.01am Wednesday 6 October.

Read more:

https://view.email.auspost.com.au/?qs=3cbeef61f681b22de7c96b4d8a0d3a319382485877a3bf5a47d3c4055a2f17...

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: AP pausing parcel collections in Melbourne again Oct 1 - Oct 6

I can see there would be some issues that need solving, but I more meant without the involvement of couriers of any kind - kind of like the option to meet a buyer somewhere for pick-up, but with the two events occurring at different times and the outlet itself facilitating the drop-off / pick-up (which could mean a dedicated, independent space, or integrated with an existing business / space, if they wanted to participate). It could also be tracked, with a package being assigned a scannable QR / barcode. This would require a seller designating their specific drop-off point if there's one nearby, and taking the packages there themselves, and the buyer can see in advance if picking up from there would work for them. Basically like the click & collect that eBay has now, but with sellers being able to drop the package off to a specific Woolies themselves, rather than post it there. It wouldn't be as fast as a retailer offering their own C&C option, but it would (theoretically / potentially) be faster than postage. Maybe not cheaper after all is said and done ๐Ÿค”

I don't know if it would be workable in any way, shape or form, just that I would be interested in such a service if it existed - no idea if anyone else would though ๐Ÿ˜… Not to mention if it was their sole function, any outlet would have a very limited scope and the only way they could expand would be to offer more services (order checking / verification by a third party would be handy in some types of disputes, though, NGL).  

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Digi you give too much credit to the commonsense of people in the courier/delivery industry.   If there is a quid to be made then there is no way a single driver will be able to do anything without the big guns taking aim and firing (rapidly).

Just the very act of having a scanner would ring alarm bells with already established couriers......they mostly (well in reality they all) use the same scanners but with different frequencies.   If there was a rogue scanner around it would soon be sniffed out.

Only a very brave man or woman would be brave enough to try doing something like you are proposing....or someone who has had no experience in the industry.

One of the biggest problems I can see is the safety of the customer's parcels.....hence the need for insurance which comes at huge expense in the industry.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Maybe I'm not explaining it very well, but I'm not seeing it as something a courier driver would do. More like if just someone like me had the capital, built, bought or rented a facility, and basically created a pick-up only fulfilment service, which would be an entirely new sector and independent of any courier service. It would actually bypass all courier / postage systems.

The more I think about it, the sillier it seems as it could only ever be on a very local scale (as in, both buyer and seller would need to be local to the facility), it's just something I thought would be useful when I idly think of alternatives to not allowing pick-up and getting requests for it. It would be a way for me to be able to accommodate pick-up without having to do the thing I dislike most, interact with humans in person. ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ (By which I mean, customer facing retail - been there, done that, am online for a reason lol).

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

I believe I understand Digi but I cannot see it working.

Coles local home delivery started in a similar way....."a man with a van" would pick up at the store and go around the corner to give Mrs A her ice cream and beans.

In our area it was cheap and quick and worked a treat until someone decided it was too good to be true.

It soon morphed into full on online shopping with very expensive delivery fees.

I was recently talking to one of these original men with a van and he said it was a great little job to start with and the elderly in particular loved it as it was not too expensive (he admitted to giving a discount to some of his regulars...lol)   But then the delivery industry poked their noses in and it is now the expensive over regulated industry that we have today.

No matter how small you start it is sure to grow like Topsy and get out of hand.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

It soon morphed into full on online shopping with very expensive delivery fees.

I guess that would depend on where you live.  I usually pay $2 to $4 for delivery plus price of bags $1.15 or so).  

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply