AUSTRALIA POST: No more signatures required for overseas registered items.

So for those of you who don't already know I work for Aussie Post.

Today one of the delivery managers addressed over 400 of us at a regular meeting and informed us that as of today:

"Posties and parcel contractors will no longer be required to get a signature from a customer when delivering an overseas registered item".

After the cheers had died down there was a lot of head scratching as to why this was the case. Funnily enough nobody bothered to ask why. 

Items will still be scanned on delivery but just no signature required. I wonder if people sending signature items from overseas are aware of this? I also wondered if this will be eventually reciprocated in other countries.  

Just letting my fellow eBay nutters in on what's going down.

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

My post particularly referred to overseas registered and signature required which is what this thread was all about initially.  StarTrack still delivers other parcels as do the normal AP parcel contractors.

My postman rarely has to leave anything at the PO as my box is quite big.   If it is too big for the postbox the contractor brings it and leaves in a safe drop area that I have used for years.

StarTrack still deliver my oversea registered and signature required parcels I got one yesterday. 

I just have a normal size post box if it does not fit the postie leaves a card never had one come to my door I thought they was not meant to get off their bikes.

My postie loves it when I have small packages to be delivered. He hopes against all hope that he gets me out of bed when he knocks on my door, then he puts carp on me if he has. I saw him in the line at the PO yesterday, he was dropping a few parcels back for people that weren't home and he spotted me in the line. He said "oh, it's you, I didn't recognise you out of your pyjamas". The looks from the other people in the line was priceless!

Message 41 of 69
Latest reply

Yes, it was to be signed for (especially knowing the $ amount would be on the outside). I've bought quite a bit of antique jewellery from the US over the last year & everytime I've had to sign or collect from the PO. It's quite disturbing.

Message 42 of 69
Latest reply

I guess Auspost staff will start to steal again. They never believe the victim they always side with Auspost workers and contractors. 

Message 43 of 69
Latest reply

@**sfos** wrote:

I guess Auspost staff will start to steal again. They never believe the victim they always side with Auspost workers and contractors. 

That is a grossly unfair statement.   There are dishonest workers and contractors in the AP organisation but it is no worse than any other organisation.   There are hundreds of honest workers too and it is not fair to tar them all with the one brush.

If you have a problem then report it to the correct authorities and the worker will be dismissed when found stealing.

Message 44 of 69
Latest reply

@tetibird wrote:

Yes, it was to be signed for (especially knowing the $ amount would be on the outside). I've bought quite a bit of antique jewellery from the US over the last year & everytime I've had to sign or collect from the PO. It's quite disturbing.

If you think it might be a problem for you, it could be worth looking into Parcel Collect through Aus Post. You have to sign up for My Post (it's free) and you can have all your parcels delivered to your PO. They send a text and email when they are ready to be collected. It just means changing your address in PayPal before you pay.

Instead of your normal address it will be something like:

Parcel Collect 12345-67890

Your PO's Address

Your suburb/town.

If you have PO agencies that are more convenient, they will often do it there too. You can find out when you sign up all the places in your local area that participate.

Message 45 of 69
Latest reply

in reply to davewil1964

@davewil1964 wrote:

Just wondering why YOU didn't ask for the reason behind it.

Or were you one of the applauders?

@______________________________________________________________________________________________________davewil1964 wrote:

Defeaning silence.

* Firstly no one appaluded, there was merely a "Bronx cheer". Perhaps you should learn to read.

* Secondly, what makes you think I am beholden to you?

* Finally, are you this rude and arrogant to people's faces or is it only from the safety of your keyboard?

Message 46 of 69
Latest reply

I am glad to see you back sjbowles.

This thread has wandered around the topic quite a bit and I am a bit unsure exactly what items are not going to be signed for....is it just registered mail or does it include all signature required mail?

Message 47 of 69
Latest reply

Sorry lyndal1838 but I have been very busy of late and had no idea this thread was even still alive.

Getting back to the topic at hand it was only incoming overseas registered signature items that no longer require a signature. Local Australian mail is still okay.

I did pull a manager aside the following day and ask why and was told that they really had no idea. All he could tell me was that it came from the top and they were given no explaination either. It has to be a cost cutting exercise of some sort.

The only reason I came on here was to give my fellow sellers a heads up. That's what this section is all about - helping each other out. The problem is of course is that whenever you tell anyone you work for Aussie Post you open yourself up to rubbish from fools who think they know everything and morons who want to attack you.  

Anyway I must get back to my real life now so thanks for all the "kudos" and positive feedback folks. Smiley Happy

Message 48 of 69
Latest reply

I'm still a bit concerned by this, so I went on to the UPU site and accessed a bunch of PDFs to see if I could find out the answers to some of my Q's. 

OMG, so many hundreds (and thousands) of pages - I tried, but  meh....

So I shot them an email, plus will be asking for a bit more clarification from AP - if I get replies, I'll update here. 

Message 49 of 69
Latest reply

@sydney-diecast-kingdom wrote:

in reply to davewil1964

@davewil1964 wrote:

Just wondering why YOU didn't ask for the reason behind it.

Or were you one of the applauders?

@______________________________________________________________________________________________________davewil1964 wrote:

Defeaning silence.

* Firstly no one appaluded, there was merely a "Bronx cheer". Perhaps you should learn to read.

* Secondly, what makes you think I am beholden to you?

* Finally, are you this rude and arrogant to people's faces or is it only from the safety of your keyboard?

"After the cheering died down..."

I am asking why you, as a seller AND and eBay/online seller didn't ask for the reason behind it.

Surely, given you felt it important enough to post on the boards, it would not be unreasonable to expect you would ask the question.

Rude? Arrogant? Your opinion maybe, but at least I don't post stuff and then not answer what could be considered reasonable questions.

If you met me in person, you would find that what you see here is what you get in real-life.

If I was a postie who sold online (or bought for that matter) I certainly wouldn't have been scared of drawing attention to myself by asking the question.

Message 50 of 69
Latest reply