AUSTRALIA POST: No more signatures required for overseas registered items.

So for those of you who don't already know I work for Aussie Post.

Today one of the delivery managers addressed over 400 of us at a regular meeting and informed us that as of today:

"Posties and parcel contractors will no longer be required to get a signature from a customer when delivering an overseas registered item".

After the cheers had died down there was a lot of head scratching as to why this was the case. Funnily enough nobody bothered to ask why. 

Items will still be scanned on delivery but just no signature required. I wonder if people sending signature items from overseas are aware of this? I also wondered if this will be eventually reciprocated in other countries.  

Just letting my fellow eBay nutters in on what's going down.

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@lyndal1838 wrote:

You are well organised....congratulations.  Most people have no idea when their posties and couriers are likely to deliver.

Are you in a suburban area or country?   StarTrack deliver different items in rural/country to what they do in the city.   My information on non delivery of International registered was based on deliveries originating from Greenacre in Sydney...they are not delivered in Sydney CBD.

No I am in Ipswich maybe classed as a suberb of Brisbane not sure on that just glad StarTrack are delivering to me life would be a lot harder if they stopped. I am grateful for my StarTrack driver he works hard. I have to know my delivery times my life revolves around them the other one I know is DHL is between 11-2 usally by 1pm 🙂

maybe that is just in the major CBDs Sydney Brisbane etc 

Message 51 of 69
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

My post particularly referred to overseas registered and signature required which is what this thread was all about initially.  StarTrack still delivers other parcels as do the normal AP parcel contractors.

My postman rarely has to leave anything at the PO as my box is quite big.   If it is too big for the postbox the contractor brings it and leaves in a safe drop area that I have used for years.

StarTrack still deliver my oversea registered and signature required parcels I got one yesterday. 

I just have a normal size post box if it does not fit the postie leaves a card never had one come to my door I thought they was not meant to get off their bikes.

My postie loves it when I have small packages to be delivered. He hopes against all hope that he gets me out of bed when he knocks on my door, then he puts carp on me if he has. I saw him in the line at the PO yesterday, he was dropping a few parcels back for people that weren't home and he spotted me in the line. He said "oh, it's you, I didn't recognise you out of your pyjamas". The looks from the other people in the line was priceless!

I am getting worried now I have offnded a postie at some time in the past seems my door is the only one they want come to 

I wouldlove to see the look on the other people in the line I bet it is priceless 

Message 52 of 69
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@**sfos** wrote:

I guess Auspost staff will start to steal again. They never believe the victim they always side with Auspost workers and contractors. 

That is a grossly unfair statement.   There are dishonest workers and contractors in the AP organisation but it is no worse than any other organisation.   There are hundreds of honest workers too and it is not fair to tar them all with the one brush.

If you have a problem then report it to the correct authorities and the worker will be dismissed when found stealing.

I do not think it is an unfair statement. It does not mean posties are dishonest but as in any industry there will be a small percentage that are and this will be to tempting from them. Personally I am not worried about Aus Post employees but I am worried about passer by if parcels start getting left outside my door. 

Message 53 of 69
Latest reply

ON THE ABC 7-30 REPORT RECENTLY, MALCOLM TURNBULL EXPLAINED WHY AN INCREASE TO $1 DOLLAR FOR A POSTAGE STAMP WAS NECESSARY.

HE NEVER MENTIONED ANY THING ABOUT THIS EYE OPENER...

Australia Post
Australia Post is a totally government owned entity and has been for about 200 years.

Recently, Australia Post announced the loss of 900 jobs, being part of a cut back program.

This is due to the decline in letters beings sent - largely due to email.

The CEO of Australia Post is Ahmed Fahour who was born in Lebanon and came to Australia in 1970.

In 2009, during the rein of Labor and PM Kevin Rudd, he was made Managing Director and CEO of Australia Post.

His salary package last year was A$4.8 million!!!!!

The top public servants in Canberra have salaries of between $665,600 and $844,800 so how does the bloke in charge of the Post Office received $4.8 million?

The Prime Minister of Australia earns a modest $507,000 considering the real burdens of office. The US President earns US$550,000 (A$757,000). The highest paid Mayor in Australia - Gold Coast City - brings in $225,000!!!

So, how on earth can the Post Office justify the massive pay of their CEO?.

Let's look further. The head of the US Postal Service with 19 times more staff and 11 times more revenue than Australia Post receives $550,000.

In France the head of their post office was paid $1.1 million with a staff compliment of 268,000 employees.

How can the CEO of the Post Office earn so much, especially when the postal service is bleeding money from letter delivery. No employee is worth A$4.8 million a year and especially not from a government owned business.
It gets worse - - -

The top ten executives in Australia Post combined earn around $20 million last year.

No matter what perspective is taken, with a loss of 900 jobs, how can A$20 million be justified for 10 'execs'!!!!

But, the salary rort is only half the story!!!

Of his A$4.8 million, Fahour donated A$2 million to the Islamic Museum of Australia (located in Melbourne).

This is a tax deductible donation, so WE TAXPAYERS are supporting the payment.

The founder and director of the Islamic Museum is Moustafa Fahour - yes, Ahmed's brother!!!!!

Moustafa's wife, Maysaa, is the chairwoman and Director.
And Fahour's sister, Samira El Khafir, manages the restaurant on site.

And, OUR letters will cost A$1 so this family can live the 'good' life!!!!!!

There is an unpleasant and some would say 'sinister' unbalanced agenda in Australia, which in the end preys on the average citizen, we the people.
We are no longer the lucky country and we are no longer wealthy and this particular game of 'Post Office rort' reveals some major fractures and faults on a number fronts in our society and culture.

Who is running the Country, who is pulling the levers and who is going to win?

We the Mugs certainly don’t look to be winners, - at this moment..... But we MUST make a stand against this rort. Australia Post was a service that we had lost. It is big now big business where the profit goes into private pockets.
The next election is around the corner.
Please pass this on. Please send it to your Federal Member of Parliament.

Message 54 of 69
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

I haven't read the whole of this thread (I hope it's not my bad!), but isn't that tantamount to fraud - taking money under false pretences.

If people/buyers have paid extra so that something will be personally delivered to them (SOD), then not doing do is taking money with no intention of carrying out what has been paid for.  Don't like that at all.

Off topic, but...

...@Lyndal :  You'll be pretty happy, and I hope you pass it on to your OH.  I had a pick up on Monday 25th via Startrack from Melb to WA - don't forget 26th was a PH - delivered on the 27th.  Awesome service!!!  And the cost was some $20odd less than Aust Post.  

Message 55 of 69
Latest reply

Thanks for that! good to know.

Message 56 of 69
Latest reply

@5kazam wrote:

I haven't read the whole of this thread (I hope it's not my bad!), but isn't that tantamount to fraud - taking money under false pretences.

If people/buyers have paid extra so that something will be personally delivered to them (SOD), then not doing do is taking money with no intention of carrying out what has been paid for.  Don't like that at all.

Off topic, but...

...@Lyndal :  You'll be pretty happy, and I hope you pass it on to your OH.  I had a pick up on Monday 25th via Startrack from Melb to WA - don't forget 26th was a PH - delivered on the 27th.  Awesome service!!!  And the cost was some $20odd less than Aust Post.  

I would not think it would be fraud because even though the sender paid for SOD they never paid Auspost so really any contract is with whoever the sender used. Even if not fraud I would of thought it was a bad move and want make the rest of the world happy. I am not sure but I think Auspost is basically saying they do not receive money so why should they pay posties to do extra work what they are not thinking is when we (Aussies) send items aboard Auspost gets money for a service someone else has to provide.

Once again to me if they want more money they should be aiming to get it by making postage rates competitive so more items are sold nationally rather than people buying overseas. How long before the rest of the world says screw Aus we will not get signatures for them then basically selling aboard would be impractical and Auspost lose more income and you can bet China will keep pushing their goods this way no matter what. 

Auspost seem to be looking at a portion of the picture and saying that is not good rather  than looking at it in context of the whole picture.

Message 57 of 69
Latest reply

I hear where you are coming from.  And have to ask the question - are other countries adopting the same attitude?  Take the money and not do what has been paid for.?

Re Aust Post being more competitive.  

I've had a philosophy for years.  If I'm selling an identical product to (say) Aust Post and I charge $5 per item, Aust Post is charging $10, who is going to make the most money/profit at the end of the day - ME - 'cos I'm going to sell a heck of a lot more than Aust Post. Refer to my off topic comment to Lyndal above about the variance in prices and second, no way could Aust Post get it delivered to WA in 2 days.  It'd still be sitting in the middle of the Nullabor .

Message 58 of 69
Latest reply

Thanks for the comment abouve kazam.....your praise has been duly noted and passed on.

As far as the faster delivery times.....AP only uses trucks across the Nullabor unless you pay for express.

For the most part, StarTrack will send most things by domestic air line haul using the old AaE services.

Message 59 of 69
Latest reply

@5kazam wrote:

That's kind of the crux of the email I sent to the UPU.

To my way of thinking, a postal service in one country is offering additional options on parcels being sent to another country, so what I wanted to know was what obligations does the receiving postal service have to carry out the services requested and paid for.

And... if they have no genuine obligation to carry out these services (to the extent where they are free to refuse to carry them out without notice, since near as I can tell none was provided), then do not the postal services all over the world then have an obligation to inform consumers that they are charging for services which can not be guarateed to be carried out? As in, why aren't they adversting these optional extras with a disclaimer - eg in AP's case, "you can pay us $6.00 more to get SOD, or tracking, but that's just money for us and whether you actually get that service is at the whim of the guys on the other side".

Doesn't sound right to me in either case, so I really hope I get a reply from the UPU (and one I can make clear sense of Smiley LOL ). 

Message 60 of 69
Latest reply