Account restriction for asking a buyer to provide a postcode for a shipping quote

Hi guys,

Exactly as the title says. Straight away after I asked my buyer to provide a postcode to get shipping cost for her order and received her reply with it  I also received an email from eBay that my  eBay account is now has a restriction on it for 7 days because of that. They included that part in their email where I asked the buyer her postcode and included her reply with just four digits for her postcode.

A call to eBay removed the restriction but I had to insist to do it immediately not within 1-2 hours as they offererd me to fix the problem.

They have told me they will fix it but I have never had any trust in what eBay tells me.

Be aware of it.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Account restriction for asking a buyer to provide a postcode for a shipping quote

They restricted my buyer account too for the same reason. And they even refused to remove it from the buyer account when she called them. I told my buyer that she must call again and demand to read their restriction email and remove restriction immediately.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

I recently got an email with a copy of the listing the question was asked through to warn me against trading outside of ebay after a message was sent by a member.

I rang ebay and said read the blasted message as there was NOTHING in there to say anything about sales outside ebay

The rep advised me it is not manned or read by people but it is a program that picks up these messages that sees them as an attempt to trade outside of ebay.

I told them they need to fix their program as it is making false pick ups and causing upset for no reason

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

@*sparklz* wrote:

I told them they need to fix their program as it is making false pick ups and causing upset for no reason

That's exactly what I have asked them to do too, I just do not believe they are working on its fix right now.  

I was lucky and persistent so it has gone well for me.but not for my buyer. At least not with the first attempt for her with eBay CS. Go figure how it sounds totally unprofessional from both eBay regular support person and their supervisor the fact that they did not even apologize for this happening to my buyer. They actually seemed to convince her that she was doing something wrong and refused to remove restriction from her account. I asked my buyer to call them again, force them to read their stupid email with our conversation quoted  before taking any decisions. 

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

eBay need to be in the 6:00 news, not on the ads.
Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

...............or they, and their shareholders, need to have a good hard look at the boards here and see how they're managing to stuff up what was a pretty good buying and selling platform..................... 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

I don't really get it because most listing that I look at have a section where I can put my postcode in and it then gives me the shipping price so I don't need to ask for or give my postcode personally to a seller.

Surely if sellers have this on their listings then why haven't you got it on yours?

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

this place has gotten beyond a joke. i honestly don't know why they have automated systems for this. they're penalising people who are doing the right thing, meanwhile others are getting away with murder and nothing is done about them.

you only have to look a few threads back at the buyers that have left 80+ negatives in order to get things for free. they still run rampant, meanwhile others can't even give a quote for freight / postage. 

there was a time years ago when i would have encouraged anyone i knew to get into selling on ebay - now, i'd actively tell them to steer clear of it. 

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

I do get the sense EBay are paranoid about the upcoming arrival of Amazon and are determined to beat their sellers into submission insofar as toeing the party line.  Well the smaller sellers anyway.

I wonder how they treat the likes of Myers, Billy Guyatt's and the other large retailers that have stores?  I somehow think EBay would not dare alientate thoe sellers.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

I have never seen so many mistakes and problems with eBay since before I was booted off from selling 2 years ago it's ridiculous.

I'm having second thoughts about trying to get back on lol.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply