Advice about using a courier

I am going to be switching from AusPost to using couriers soon. I would love some advice from anyone using a courier service.

What do yo add to your ads to make sure (as much as possible) buyer know you are using a courier service?

Do you offer ( at an extra cost) AusPost for those unable or unwilling to use a courier service or just stop selling to them? If so do you allow posting to PO Boxes or will ths just causse problems?

Any pitfalls/problems you encountered use a courier rather than AusPost?

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I am not arguing with you so there is no need to get nasty.

My post was a reply to thesoulyearns who thinks that using a courier should not be a problem for buyers.

I was just trying to point out that it can be a great problem for some buyers and giving the reasons why.

I buy on line because I cannot get out to the shops....I need things delivered to my door with the least possible problems and that means avoiding sellers who use couriers.

As long as a seller states that they use a courier service then I don't have a problem with that....and the seller will not have a problem with me.  I don't ask or expect them to change anything for my benefit.

What does annoy me is sellers who state that they use AP and then end up using a courier without saying a word.

And don't worry....you are not selling anything that I would buy online so you will never have me as a customer whether you use AP or a courier.

For the 99.9% resonible buyersit will not be a problem it is just the akward 0.01% of buyers, like you, that make it a problem

No your not arguing but your ranting on, like you have hundreds of times before, about how sellers who use couriers are bad get over it. Even when I am using a courier if a resonable customer contacts me I will do whatever is needed to help them including sending by AusPost if needed but you I would just say it was not possible and get you to go to another sellers. You think everything should revolve around you and if it does not then it is wrong. Well this is the real world and I will do what is best for the majority of people. Plus I have told you before I am not interested in your rants but still you keep doing it now that is you being nasty.

Message 21 of 51
Latest reply

I was not ranting....if you don't want any opinions but your own just say so when you start a thread.

As already said.....There are buyers who find couriers inconvenient.  I am sure I am not the only one.

All I suggest is to make sure that your buyers know that you are using a courier and you should not have a problem.

I consider myself a responsible buyer....I am definitely not an awkward buyer.   If I know a seller uses a courier I just don't buy from them and I certainly don't ask them to change anything for me.

Message 22 of 51
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I was not ranting....if you don't want any opinions but your own just say so when you start a thread.

As already said.....There are buyers who find couriers inconvenient.  I am sure I am not the only one.

All I suggest is to make sure that your buyers know that you are using a courier and you should not have a problem.

I consider myself a responsible buyer....I am definitely not an awkward buyer.   If I know a seller uses a courier I just don't buy from them and I certainly don't ask them to change anything for me.

And you was ranting the same thing when I first started using the board, last year. I rarely come on the board but 50% of the times I post you have to rant about how a couple of months a go a courier let you down and you had to travel 5 blocks. Well you have gone on and on with the same story since at least last year so it is now a minimum of 8 months if not longer or you get a package delivered every 2 months just to keep the stroy alive. I have no clue how many years you have been going on about this before I first used the forum

Yeah yeah yeah a courier let you down, well in your mind they did, now letsget on with what the board is for getting information about selling on Ebay

Message 23 of 51
Latest reply

Oh please.....read my post properly before you fly off the handle.....I said that the courier company wanted me to pick up a parcel from a newsagent FIVE SUBURBS away, not five blocks.

And for your information, the company involved was Fastway, a company which is used by a lot of ebay sellers because they are cheap.

Message 24 of 51
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Oh please.....read my post properly before you fly off the handle.....I said that the courier company wanted me to pick up a parcel from a newsagent FIVE SUBURBS away, not five blocks.

And for your information, the company involved was Fastway, a company which is used by a lot of ebay sellers because they are cheap.

I know what company it is you have been ranting about it since last year. I have also read a LOT of sellers/buyers who are MORE than happy with them. As I said if using a courier rids me of buyers like you I see that as just an added bonus 

Message 25 of 51
Latest reply

Yes, I have told the story since last year because it happened on the 11th December.

It usually comes up when sellers ask for opinions on couriers and I answer as I see it....couriers are not for everyone, buyers or sellers.

You really are offensive aren't you?  Is it very difficult to be as argumentative as you are or does it come naturally?

Message 26 of 51
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I know what company it is you have been ranting about it since last year. I have also read a LOT of sellers/buyers who are MORE than happy with them. As I said if using a courier rids me of buyers like you I see that as just an added bonus 

She's only pointed out some of the issues that buyers have with couriers and she hasn't ranted about anything!  You're the one who's ranting about not wanting buyers who aren't willing to jump through hoops to organise delivery via courier.  All you need to do is state in your listing that you only use courier so people can make an informed choice whether or not to buy.  I'd put it near the top of the description because I've heard that a lot of people who use the app can't even see the full description, even if they wanted to..  

Like lyndal, my objection is to sellers who have everything listed as AP parcel postage and then send by courier without ever mentioning that possibility.  If it'd been mentioned a lot of us simply wouldn't have bought.  How that makes us problem buyers is beyond me, because the problem was caused by the seller/s not being honest.

You profess to know all the answers already so I don't know why you bothered starting the thread.  You asked what issues people have had but when you're told them you accuse people of ranting.

Message 27 of 51
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

One other thing how was tracking in regards for the buyer being able to track the parcel?

Packaging I currently use mainly 3kg satchels and bubbe wrap going to look today for plain ones hopefully with the window to put the label or may just buy a thermal printer. That keeps my postage cost down a lot

The Couriers Please tracking number is on the label, so if you give it to the buyer they can track it via the company's website. I don't have the Fastway label to check whether the same is available but I assume so. Most couriers should be the same, re: tracking.

A thermal label printer may cost a bit but if you're using it regularly, it's probably worth it. I think it saves a bit on ink and paper aswell.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Actually, sending by courier can be a very major problem for some buyers.

I always avoid sellers who use a courier service unless it is completely unavoidable.

I have mobility problems and often cannot get to the door before a courier leaves.  It can be a problem to pick up from the courier depot as they are not open weekends and are a lot further away than my local PO.

A few months ago I missed a courier and was advised that they would leave my parcel at a newsagent FIVE suburbs away.  After much arguing I was able to get them to safe drop at my home the next day.

I regularly get medications sent from Queensland via courier but the sender has the option for me to give them an Authority to Leave which is fine by me, but I have never had an ebay seller who was prepared to do that.

As 247newdeals pointed out re: Sendle, you can advise the courier to leave it at the door, so you can get there in your own time. Communication is key when buying and selling. I'd advise always checking before purchasing whether they use a courier and/or making sure that each parcel is safe dropped so you can have time to get to it. Why an eBay seller wouldn't do that I don't know. I have trust in eBay and PayPal with regards to tracking being a good form of proof of delivery.

Message 28 of 51
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Yes, I have told the story since last year because it happened on the 11th December.

It usually comes up when sellers ask for opinions on couriers and I answer as I see it....couriers are not for everyone, buyers or sellers.

You really are offensive aren't you?  Is it very difficult to be as argumentative as you are or does it come naturally?

You keep posting the same OLD story time and time again guess what I know you hate couriers to the extent you will keep ranting on and on and on about it. I came here for advice not to hear you boring old story that I have read many many many times before. It happened last year get over it and stop posting you irrelevant old story every chance you have.

Offensive is going on and on about some unimportant fact and making what should a great resource useless.This forum is meant to be for sellers not a place for you to whinge and rant on.

Message 29 of 51
Latest reply

@englishrosegardens wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

She's only pointed out some of the issues that buyers have with couriers and she hasn't ranted about anything!  You're the one who's ranting about not wanting buyers who aren't willing to jump through hoops to organise delivery via courier.  All you need to do is state in your listing that you only use courier so people can make an informed choice whether or not to buy.  I'd put it near the top of the description because I've heard that a lot of people who use the app can't even see the full description, even if they wanted to..  

Like lyndal, my objection is to sellers who have everything listed as AP parcel postage and then send by courier without ever mentioning that possibility.  If it'd been mentioned a lot of us simply wouldn't have bought.  How that makes us problem buyers is beyond me, because the problem was caused by the seller/s not being honest.

You profess to know all the answers already so I don't know why you bothered starting the thread.  You asked what issues people have had but when you're told them you accuse people of ranting.

The SAME old personal issue she has pointed out hundreds of time before and she has posted on multiple threads I have started. It has nothing to do with what I asked and even though I had a little sympathy for here the first 10 or so times I read the story it has worn out now.

I have not said I know anything I came here for advice instead I get her ranting on about how she does not like courier well care factor 0

Message 30 of 51
Latest reply