Advice needed about unhappy suspect buyer

jvdv
Community Member

Hi - I sold a pair of water shoes which as far as I was aware were in excellent condition however the customer has messaged me saying they were "useless" and "What s your about explanation about that? Did u know about that ? I am looking hear from u...." He also attached the photos to demonstrate how they were "useless" - see attached. To me it looks like he has used his fingernail to scrape the side of the shoe - see attached. He also claimed there was additional damage.

So to save ongoing issues and bad feedback I replied saying that as a gesture of goodwill I would refund the price he paid for the shoes ($27.00) only.

Now he has replied saying -

"I am not happy with just paying back original price because i paid around half of original price for posting item beside it took my time for going to post office to grab box.
As you seen material is expired and easily can remove by finger. The shoes is in useless condition. You can see in last pic that how easily separate shoe surface by only a finger."

So should I just agree to repay for the postage ($10.00) as well as the shoes (although he seems to suggest he wants compensation for going to the PO to collect them) or just tell him to open a claim through eBay or PP?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I don't think they're suspect at all.

The shoes were 2nd hand when sold.  Unfortunately shoes deteriorate when not in use

and especially the rubber coating would degrade.

If they open a case you will have to refund the full purchase price anyway.

If you don't refund then you get a defect.

If you refund the full purchase price inc postage, then they can't ask for more than that.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I agree with Stawka.....don't think of involving ebay if you don't want a defect.

If the shoes have been sitting around for any length of time unused they will deteriorate.....I had it happen with the synthetic soles of some shoes which had not been used for about 13 months.

If the surface can be scraped away with his fingernail then they are certainly not usable.

You should refund in full without the buyer having to return the item.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If i was this buyer, I'd be annoyed and peeved off too.

Yes he has scratched the fabric off with his fingernail. If the material was in good condition, it would not come off like that.
You sold him a pair of perished shoes. The buyer is right, those shoes are useless.

Give him a full refund + postage and tell him to throw them in the bin.

This is one buyer who should not have to esculate a claim.... sorry jvdv.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Full refund without buyer having to return shoes. Straight in the bin as I see it.

You may not have realized some of the material on the shoes has perished.

Personally I would have refunded in full, apologized and explained I wasn't aware of the problem.

That may have avoided a neg in feedback which you may still get.

image host
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Tell him you were not aware of the problem and you are happy to pay all of his original outlay-item cost plus postage.

Don't pay him any extra as 'compensation' for a trip to the PO.

If he asks for more, say no. If he isn't happy with that and opens a case, let him. Ebay won't pay him any more than full refund.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply