Advice on selling low cost items and including tracking...

So recently I sold a DVD to a person in the US.

A few days before I sold one to a person in the same state.

I sent both in timely fashion. One arrived safely, the other did not.

I issued a refund as I didn't want to risk any defects on my account.  I now want to use tracking on all sales to avoid this happening again.

My usual items are clippings packs which range from $1.99 to whatever the buyer will pay.

My question is, is it worth including tracking on items under a certain price range? (say $5.00 for example) Do you think it will put buyers off adding tracking to the postage cost?

I've been selling on eBay for a long time [in spurts though not constantly] and this is my first ever "Item Not Recieved".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Advice on selling low cost items and including tracking...

The cost of overseas tracking for low cost items makes it prohibitive. If you are sending DVDs at letter rate you are already spending $8 - $12 for postage. Even with tracking you are far from guaranteed a refund from eBay if tracking shows the item was not delivered. 

I send about 10% of my sales overseas at letter rates.  If I charged for tracked shipping, I would not have most of those overseas sales as the buyeres would not pay the cost. To minimise my risks, I do not post to many countries that I consider higher risks of lost items.  I only use tracking for the very expensive items.  Can't remember the last time an overseas item went missing.

PS - for large letters the UC customs slip number is scanned by USPS and often (but not always) shows up as a tracking number on eBay.   I recently became a Top Rated seller in the USA on the back of 100% of my items had legitimate tracking scans recorded on eBay even though most were just the custom slip number. Now dowm to 70%

Message 11 of 11
Latest reply