Aussies are spending big shopping on social media 16 Billion dollars

apparently 16 BILLION DOLLARS spent on social media - wonder how ebay will factor this into their business model - will we be seeing facebay or ebayagram soon?

I know selling on these platforms is going gangbusters for sellers so much so that people like me have given up on here

https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2019/10/02/aussies-spend-big-on-social-media/

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

go-tazz
Community Member

Considering there are a lot of things that you can't sell on FB due to their so called policies there will

always be sites like eBay where you can sell a lot more things (at better prices and with a number of items the

first thing asked on FB can be will you take less or will you post when it clearly says pick up).

I've had 10 items rejected including coins,commemorative medallions,butter knives,golf club,collectables,etc.

Yet with some there were twenty listings plus of similar items and others aren't allowed at all.

You can appeal but that was only successful on one item which was a 12 inch Elvis ceramic guitar that I

wasn't willing to post (every other item you just get denied and you don't get informed as to why or as to what so

called policy it violates).

So it's got non existing members support and your privacy can be a concern considering the adds that are

directed at you that they shouldn't know about (the weirdest one to me is when they target you with items to buy

and they are actually the items that you are trying to sell).rofl.gif

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

I haven't bought anything from social media and items I have listed barely get a look. I sell way more here than there. Fresh produce I list sells OK, but as far as what I sell here, way busier here than social media.

If you have given up on eBay, why are you haunting the forums? Seems a bit pointless to me. I can only assume that you haven't really given up on eBay. Those that do, generally close or abandon their accounts. They don't log in and they certainly don't start threads on a forum.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Selling on FB is a crock - many times 'keen' buyers don't even turn up, or pay if they want something posted. Also, like Tazz, I have had random for sale posts removed that don't go against their policies - bushcraft courses, plastic plant pots, a childrens book, frying pan etc etc. Appeals don't work and the removals don't seem to follow any pattern. 

Too many people stuff you around.

Latest reply

I've had a lot of success on FB but that is through engagement with car enthusiasts, basically marketing effort to promote my artwork.

But no matter what, each time I approach a new group there is always a high number of people who love what I present and say they will buy it but it translates into only a small number of actual sales per group.  Posting reminders usually stimulates a few more.

I also find that, despite eBay's bugs and system issues from time to time, it's a lot easier to use and find stuff than FB sometimes!

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

your privacy can be a concern considering the adds that are

directed at you that they shouldn't know about (the weirdest one to me is when they target you with items to buy

______________________________-

It's no different to any site you use that uses cookies and has google ads on it.  They use your browsing history to show you ads that are specifically targeted at you.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

Considering there are a lot of things that you can't sell on FB due to their so called policies there will

always be sites like eBay where you can sell a lot more things (at better prices and with a number of items the

first thing asked on FB can be will you take less or will you post when it clearly says pick up).

I've had 10 items rejected including coins,commemorative medallions,butter knives,golf club,collectables,etc.

Yet with some there were twenty listings plus of similar items and others aren't allowed at all.

You can appeal but that was only successful on one item which was a 12 inch Elvis ceramic guitar that I

wasn't willing to post (every other item you just get denied and you don't get informed as to why or as to what so

called policy it violates).

So it's got non existing members support and your privacy can be a concern considering the adds that are

Agreed. I find FB really frustrating because they reject so many things because they don't meet policies. I have had many everyday items rejected

Timberland size 14 long sleeve boys checked shirt - accepted

Timberland size 00 boys red long pants - rejected

and as you say, no customer support when you appeal

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

your privacy can be a concern considering the adds that are

______________________________-

It's no different to any site you use that uses cookies and has google ads on it.  They use your browsing history to show you ads that are specifically targeted at you.

I've never noticed it on other sites and as FB is in your face with the proximity of the adds and that's probably

why I see them (I also don't buy from other online sites so that's probably why also).good.gif

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

"too many people stuff you around"

what like buyers who don't pay after an auction is finished.

like buyers who never show up after requesting a pickup and then you have to go through the whole unpaid item strike process where your item is in limbo for 8 days or whatever in case they actually do show up or on day 7 actually decide to show up

like buyers who try and commit postal fraud using paypal as a carriage service to facilitate the fraud

like buyers who engage in bid shielding to get a bargain and drive away genuine buyers

like overseas buyers who scam with paypal because their item has not arrived in a week and then get item for free

like six month returns with paypal.

like 21 day holds on YOUR money when you join requiring detailed reports to the financial ombudsman just to get your $10

like ebay refunding buyers for an item and they get to keep the item as well

like low DSR's over trivial matters (your item has a scratch on it that is visible when viewed under a microscope)

like negative feedback that is one sided and the stress it causes not to mention the loss of sales

like......... (insert issue here)

sounds great maranock but some of those items i am glad they have removed as it just junks up the site -plastic plant pots, bushcraft courses etc etc - junk like that is better off here i guess

but hey horses for courses i guess - best of luck to you maranock but hey 16 billion dollars of purchases -what a crock

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Don't want to stress you and make you make assumptions or speculations on my status must cause you stress having to reply to another post that you don't agree with.

I actually use ebay as a guide to undercut sellers on here and turn it into profit - currently looking at your listings and undercutting you.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply