Australia Post 20% increase in charges over the last 2 years

I feel that Australia Post are leaning heavily on the online sales sector to compensate for the loss of snail mail revenue and frankly, talk about grabbing the low hanging fruit. Surely they saw the situation with ordinary mail happening and rather than thinking 'outside the box' or being innovative they have transferred their losses to the sellers and buyers online. I am becoming disenchanted with online selling, feel squeezed by Australia Post on one side and Ebay on the other side, with their Promotional charges. Is it possible that without paying these extra promo charges that your listing sinks to the bottom of peoples notice, very hard to measure. 

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Australia Post 20% increase in charges over the last 2 years

Australia Post have to cover the cost of delivering millions of cheap items from China each year.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Don't pay for promos. Simple. I don't and my sales are consistent.

Also noting that the last big increase dropped a lot of items down a category when they went from charging by weight to charging for whatever would fit in a specific parcel as long as it was under 5kg.

I know my quoted postage for 1kg (medium, now) and over went down by over 80%. Have you factored that in?

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

are you signed up for mypost,  some great discounts on postage if you have volume

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

It costs a fortune these days to send anything by Australia Post. Living in regional Victoria, Australia Post is generally the only option. Ebay and AP fees were getting too expensive. I ended up cancelling my store subscription ( not enough sales to justify the price ). The last straw was when i lost my TRS status for no particular reason.  I'm slowly taking everything off Ebay and putting them on Facebook ( newly signed up ) . Doing pretty good on Facebook, pick up locally. 100% profit to me.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Seeya! Ebay won't miss you, despite how important you think you are. Ebay doesn't even know you exist. Was it worth your while announcing your departure? You still have 357 active garbage el cheapo listings. Obviously Facebook isn't going so well? As for losing your TRS, you've sold 4 items in the last 3 months. What do you expect? You're selling stuff all, why do you think you should be a TRS? 

Good luck with facebook. Come back in 6 months and let us know how that is working for you. I can pretty much guarantee that we would check your profile in 6 months, and you'll still have the same amount of cheap garbage listed. 

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@midnight1fantasy wrote:

It costs a fortune these days to send anything by Australia Post. Living in regional Victoria, Australia Post is generally the only option. Ebay and AP fees were getting too expensive. I ended up cancelling my store subscription ( not enough sales to justify the price ). The last straw was when i lost my TRS status for no particular reason.  I'm slowly taking everything off Ebay and putting them on Facebook ( newly signed up ) . Doing pretty good on Facebook, pick up locally. 100% profit to me.

Interesting concept,  to add to S-N-D,  you have just cut your potential buyer base from over 20 million people to whatever the population of your regional town is.   Hope your town likes a lot of random nothingness.

PS,  heaps of time wasters on FB marketplace

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

The reason you lost TRS is because you have to have $US1k and 100 sales per annum.

Let me guess you dropped below that. According to you feedback you certainly dropped.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

๐Ÿ™‚
Don't you know it.

and yet, UK Royal Mail has managed to keep competitive against China, and the rest of the world. SO it can be done.

Greed, I think sums it up.

Postage stamp has gone up and up and up, and every time stating they need the additional to make it viable. OF course with the promise and the service factor is going down.
Simultaneously having their to-door posties deliver what they call "householders" ...junk mail that Aus Post rake $'s for delivery of. I know my postal workers quite well,some recently retured, and some new. They have also been screwed by Aus Post ...work harder, longer, less money, less respect/trust, etc

As you say, all the while knowing, and investing in, parcel delivery, yet making it more expensive.

It's a crying (i swear here) shame that they couldn't have worked with small biz from 10-15 years ago. Rather, they've done the larger corporate thing and kowtowed to big $ contracts whilst making the little guys pay through their teeth whilst being squeezed out of the market.

From what I grew up with, understood, and hoped for from others...a National Disgrace.

Extremely poor management , and a fantastic example of a federal institution with a private corporate mindset......can't fail as they're using tax payers money, but don't have the nouse to run such an enterprise correctly....as an example :

In September 2015, the corporation announced its first loss in 30 years. The A$222 million loss was down from a $116 million profit the previous year. Large decreases in addressed and stamped mail led to a $381 million loss in the mail delivery side of the business. Parcel delivery then accounted for over half of total revenue. Overall revenue was stable at $6.37 billion

I mean....who could "manage" that ?

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply