Australia Post Agent - Tracking Numbers

Today, I handed a pre-stamped parcel [$7.45 up to 500g) over the counter of an Australia Post Agency in a newsagent as I have done many times before, expecting to have a tracking number stuck to the parcel and be given the tracking number and a lodgement receipt.

I was initially told that as I did not purchase the stamps with them my item would not receive a tracking number and that if I wanted a tracking number, I could purchase one.  I said that I simply want a tracking number which comes with all parcels and is no extra cost, but I didn't want to purchase "registered post" (which I think was trying to be sold to me).  I asked if this was something new and after searching the PC screen I was given a tracking number on a lodgement receipt and a sticker with the tracking number was placed on the parcel.

If I didn't know that I could obtain a tracking number for no extra charge or I was new to ebay, I might have just let them take my parcel and then not be able to track it.  Just thought I would put this here as a heads up for others.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I pre-purchase 3kg satchels 12months ago they franked (rubber stamped) them when I purchased them.

I've only just used 1 last week but when I took it in (different post office), they stuck a tracking label on it.

I hate post office people, I always leave red faced and angry. It's probably coz they are franchises that they are all trying to bleed you for every bit they can.
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@cathyjoyjoy wrote:

Today, I handed a pre-stamped parcel [$7.45 up to 500g) over the counter of an Australia Post Agency in a newsagent as I have done many times before, expecting to have a tracking number stuck to the parcel and be given the tracking number and a lodgement receipt.

I was initially told that as I did not purchase the stamps with them my item would not receive a tracking number and that if I wanted a tracking number, I could purchase one.  I said that I simply want a tracking number which comes with all parcels and is no extra cost, but I didn't want to purchase "registered post" (which I think was trying to be sold to me).  I asked if this was something new and after searching the PC screen I was given a tracking number on a lodgement receipt and a sticker with the tracking number was placed on the parcel.

If I didn't know that I could obtain a tracking number for no extra charge or I was new to ebay, I might have just let them take my parcel and then not be able to track it.  Just thought I would put this here as a heads up for others.

I think they should be giving a tracking number sticker regardless. IMO it makes no difference where the stamps come from and Australia Post do advertise tracking on all parcels. I would put a complaint in with Australia Post.

It is understandable that some of these places feel like that. The simple solution is to leave off $0.10 or so and then pay for that part of the postage, and get a tracking sticker. That will make them happy.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Cathy, I've had problems with franchise operations in the past.

One point blank refused to give me the 50km rate just after it was introduced.

That would have cost me over $60 in additional postage cost.

If you ring AP and raise a complaint it will be passed on to the area supervisor who is in charge of that outlet.

The super will then give them a gee up and make sure they are following AP protocols.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I have had lots of problems with LPO with very similar to what is discribed above.. The best one I have had I lodged 2 eBay Satchels over the counter and 4 Large letters She did accepe the ebay satchels but told me to post the large letters in the mailbox outsite as she didd not want to use her ink on cancelling them..I do not use that LPO any more..It only seems to be all New Australians who I have problems with mainly because they cannot speak Good English.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I recently took a flat large envelope which fitted through my Australia Post board quite adequately to the local Post Office. The lady behind the counter said.............that will be $7.45 please. I said, NO it fitted through the slot on my board. She then said no it does

not fit through ours.  I took the envelope home and returned with my board and fitted the envelope through with no problems. She

apologised, broke the board they had in half and put it in the bin. She then proceeded to give me their new board and take mine.

I said "I want my own board back it has the date on the bottom of it, this one is your new board not mine. Needless to say the item went for $2.10 and not $7.45.  On the same day, I posted a large parcel that came in much heavier that what I had weighed at home. Each

time we took the parcel off the Post Office scales and placed it back on it came back with a different weight, on 3 separate occasions.

When I queried this she said............. any way your parcel is still over 500grams so you have to pay the dearer price, which I accepted.

I have had a parcel sitting in the warehouse depot in Welshpool W.A. for almost 2 weeks, after posting it on 2nd November.  I wrote to

find out where it had got to and they said they had been busier than normal and it had been sitting here in W.A. for all that time. It would be delivered by 18th November.  I advised them they need more forward planning as the BUSY season is still coming up and the CEO of Australia post needs to take a pay cut in order to accommodate  this with maybe more staff.  They also told me at the same time to

use Express Post if I want my parcels to be delivered promptly.   Coupled with all of this I have had two parcels delivered broken, even though packed in polystyrene, marked FRAGILE.  I would never put fragile on a parcel again. 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@paris-in-my-pockets wrote:

I recently took a flat large envelope which fitted through my Australia Post board quite adequately to the local Post Office. The lady behind the counter said.............that will be $7.45 please. I said, NO it fitted through the slot on my board. She then said no it does

not fit through ours.  I took the envelope home and returned with my board and fitted the envelope through with no problems. She

apologised, broke the board they had in half and put it in the bin. She then proceeded to give me their new board and take mine.

I said "I want my own board back it has the date on the bottom of it, this one is your new board not mine. Needless to say the item went for $2.10 and not $7.45.  On the same day, I posted a large parcel that came in much heavier that what I had weighed at home. Each

time we took the parcel off the Post Office scales and placed it back on it came back with a different weight, on 3 separate occasions.

When I queried this she said............. any way your parcel is still over 500grams so you have to pay the dearer price, which I accepted.

I have had a parcel sitting in the warehouse depot in Welshpool W.A. for almost 2 weeks, after posting it on 2nd November.  I wrote to

find out where it had got to and they said they had been busier than normal and it had been sitting here in W.A. for all that time. It would be delivered by 18th November.  I advised them they need more forward planning as the BUSY season is still coming up and the CEO of Australia post needs to take a pay cut in order to accommodate  this with maybe more staff.  They also told me at the same time to

use Express Post if I want my parcels to be delivered promptly.   Coupled with all of this I have had two parcels delivered broken, even though packed in polystyrene, marked FRAGILE.  I would never put fragile on a parcel again. 

Australia Post doesn't offer a fragile item service, so it's pointless writing it on. There are also a small amount of delivery people / postal workers, where seeing fragile is a target for playing football with your parcel. Those types of people are slowly being weeded out of the industry, but there are still some around that haven't been caught yet.

AP say that your parcel should be packed well enough that it can survive having 20kg dropped on it. Very few of mine would survive having 20kg dropped on them, but I've never sent one that arrived broken. I post a lot of fragile items and tend to go overboard with the packaging. Lots of wrapping and bubble wrap around the item and no dead space in the box. If I close the lid and shake it and can feel even the slightest movement, more stuffing gets shoved in.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you.  I will heed your advice with regard to packing.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

If I was packing those lovely fluted lamp shades you have, I'd put some soft packing inside them, like that thin foamy stuff, then wrap them individually in the same thin foamy stuff, then wrap in some bubble wrap. I'd then get a box large enough whereby you can put a reasonable layer of packing material on the bottom and where you can sit them in next to each other with enough space around all sides where you can put packing material all the way around the edges. Then another layer on top of them.

Hold the lid closed, give the box a shake, if you can feel any movement at all, put some more packaging around them and on top. Normally I'd use packing peanuts depending on what it is, but something as fragile as those lamp shades, I'd be inclined to use bubble wrap. I feel it would hold them more secure and offer a but more protection for them.

Another thing you could do if you have a large enough box, wrap each one and put in a small box each, then put those boxes in a larger box, then fill the dead space around the boxes. That would give them even more protection.

The lolly jar, I'd do the same thing, but I'd wrap the lid separately to the jar part.

The thing to remember when packing fragile things is, you can never over pack! Far better to over wrap them than risk them getting broken. I also find that reinforcing the box with lots of sticky tape can help too. It helps stop things that might get dropped on it from piercing it.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Good advice, thank you.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply