Australia Post safe drop parcel not received

I've just received a message from a buyer (via my selling account) claiming they haven't received their parcel... After checking the tracking it's showing as being delivered with safe drop on 5th Dec.

It's a $200 + item. I offered postage with SOD & postage without SOD. Both choices included insurance. The buyer chose the postage without SOD. I printed the label via click & send as it was a 5kg satchel & I didn't see anywhere on C&S to offer safe drop.

Does anybody know what happens if the buyer decides to open an INR dispute... am I covered as a seller?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Don't you have to prove delivery to win an INR case? As in a signature?

A parcel left by Aus post on a doorstep and stolen before the buyer gets home isn't the sellers fault but isn't the buyers fault either. Who covers that?
Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
Don't you have to prove delivery to win an INR case? As in a signature?

A parcel left by Aus post on a doorstep and stolen before the buyer gets home isn't the sellers fault but isn't the buyers fault either. Who covers that?

If the order was paid for using PayPal and the INR claim is lodged thru PayPal you only need to show that the item was lodged. No delivery scan event or signature required. The tracking number has to be able to be linked to the buyer's PayPal postal address (eg ebay labels or C&S or similar).

If the INR claim is made via ebay MBG (Money Back Guarantee) then you need to be able to show delivery. ie a delivery scan event is required showing at least the buyer's suburb. A signature will not help here. Makes no difference if/not you have it except that items valued at over $750 it is a requirement. No lodgement scan is required but if you have that inside your stated handling time this will help you avoid the late delivery defect you will likely get. So better to lodge over the counter and get it scanned in. But if there is no delivery scan then the seller will lilkely lose the ebay MBG INR case and the buyer will be refunded from seller funds.

If the delivery scan event shows delivered then the seller is covered even when safe dropped. If there is a signature required then the delivery driver is supposed to leave a card and not safe drop it.

Unfortunately the buyer will have to cover it and accept the loss if the tracking shows delivered. Sometimes AP will make a $50 discretionary compensation payment to the buyer but usually only if forced to by the ombudsman. If the seller purchased extra cover upon lodgement that may pay out in which case he can compensate the buyer and they can re-buy the product and try again.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

That's interesting reading Clarry... I thought an INR case whether opened via PayPal or MBG both had to show a delivery scan at the buyers end..

So basically a SOD helps to protect the buyer ie no safe drop / parcel left at doorstep in plain view. Parcels need to be collected from the PO.
Insurance (with or without SOD) helps protect the seller against  loss / damage to a parcel in transit.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong 🙂

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Insurance is really only good if a parcel disappears completely and cannot be found.

AP does not offer a fragile service so you will have your work cut out to get the insurance for a broken item.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply