Authentication Process

snordsy
Community Member

I was totally taken by surprise that ebay enforces an authentication process for a pair of shoes I sold recently before payment is released. My understanding is ebay open your parcel, check the contents and then send to the buyer. Seems the process is random as I have sent shoes before without this process before. I will not be selling shoes on ebay again as this process lacks ethics and indicates ebay does not trust me.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Authentication Process

You agreed to the terms involved in selling a brand of shoes that required authentication

Why it would 'take you by surprise' is a surprise 

It very clearly shows the blue tick and Authenticity Guarantee there on your completed listings 

It also clearly shows

Authenticity Guarantee
This item is sent to eBay's authenticators for verification before delivery

Why surprised? 

It's nothing new and the seller is responsible for their own listings 

If you have gotten away with it before when you should'nt have that is a concern 

Why would eBay trust you?  (as in why should'nt this policy apply to you?)

eBay are not going to know or care if you sell shoes (or anything else) at all

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Authentication Process

You may not have been caught before because the brand you were selling doesnt get faked as much as the one this time.

You will also notice that only one of your pairs had the authenticity guarantee, and thats because it was over the $ limit, which I think is $100.  but I am sure you can check that yourself.

Its actually a bonus,  because I would buy a pair of shoes quicker if I knew someone would do an authenticity check, rather than trusting dodgy sellers.  

I guess the question is what are you scared off,  unless you are unsure of the shoes.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Authentication Process

It relates to  value of certain brand shoes,  I think it kicks in at $150.

You are required to ship to the address provided by ebay, that will be the address of an authentication service, not ebay.   If the shoes pass authentication, they are tagged and then forwarded to the buyer.

If you know the shoes to be genuine, then you should not have any concern about the process.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Authentication Process

It's not random and it doesn't only apply to shoes. For example, some name brand bags might need to be authenticated too.

It is only going to apply though to more expensive items & the sort of brands that are likely to have fake copies floating around.

I know your shoes sold for about $150 but sometimes some brands sell for many hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Ebay is the sort of sales site where buyers cannot see or examine the item in person before they buy. You can understand that customers in that case would feel far more secure and prepared to buy if they know the product will be authenticated first.

If you're selling medium priced, run of the mill brands, they won't have to go through this process.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply