Automatic Positive Feedback if nothing left for you and no complaints

I am putting this is as request to ebay.

If know one leaves you positive feedback then you get positive feedback rating number added to your total, after 2  weeks or so.

If no complaint or communication about product or no request for refund then you must have done ok with service and or product.

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Automatic Positive Feedback if nothing left for you and no complaints

@countessalmirena wrote:

@greatproductstoday,

I am one of those buyers who has occasionally deliberately refrained from leaving feedback in instances when something about the transaction was unsatisfactory but when other aspects were not.

In particular, if I feel that the issue was a one-off, not something that was a consistent problem with that seller, I would rather refrain from giving a negative or neutral, giving the seller the benefit of the doubt.

If the seller resolves the issue satisfactorily, that's worth a positive in my view.

I don't use a neutral to indicate that the transaction was neither good nor bad. Rather, I use a neutral to indicate that the sale had some decidedly unsatisfactory element, but it wasn't bad enough to justify a negative.

I only give negatives in the worst instances.

In general, I shop in such a way that negative and neutral transactions are unlikely to occur. I do this by choosing sellers with good reputations, even if the item cost might be higher than if I were to buy from a seller about whom I had some doubts.

eBay say ❝By leaving Feedback for a seller, you're telling them what you think.❞ Making positive feedback become automatically bestowed on a seller weeks or months after the purchase is to usurp that in its entirety, and would have iffy sellers delighted. All such a seller need do - if this were to be implemented - would be to stall the buyer, string him/her along until the time for being able to give feedback has lapsed, and then wait for the beautiful green dots to fall from heaven.

Your idea is a bad idea. Feedback has largely lost its meaning on eBay as it is, but if positives were to be given in the absence of a neutral or negative, it would be far, far worse a scenario than the present one.

You should bear in mind that absence of criticism does not equate to there being no cause for criticism. Be glad for the positives that you do receive.

If only all buyers were as considerate as you. Very well said. That was a nice read

Message 41 of 49
Latest reply

Knowing eBay, even if they did bring in a system like this, we'd also get auto-negs every time a request was opened (actually, we already sorta kinda did get a system like that, with the original defect system, ebay likes the stick more than the carrot Smiley LOL  wait.... Smiley Sad ). 

Spoiler
Smiley LOL
Message 42 of 49
Latest reply

I Just went to leave feedback for someone and one of the stars

"You can only rate the details that apply to this transaction. The seller received automatic 5-star ratings for other aspects of this transaction."

So some is automatic - ?? it was not the postage so dont know what it was... 

I note all of you have mentioned when shopping that you look at ratings... so I people have sales of 10000 and only showing 3000

because only 30% give feedback. You are losing out on visual appeal.

All I am saying is that if you sold something after 4 or months when there was not complaint - request refund - you got something

reflected even if it just shows number of postive transactions - does mean feed back. If there is a compaint it is not added to number

of positive transactions

Message 43 of 49
Latest reply

It was probably 'Communication' that you were not given the option to rate. If there seller didn't message you at all it seems you're not presented with the option to rate their communication. A little backward if you ask me,

From a buying perspective I'm only really concerned about neutrals and negs left for a seller - if 7,000 of 10,000 buyers didn't have cause to leave any feedback, that's endorsement enough for me to shop with that seller.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 44 of 49
Latest reply

Thanks

Yes but how would you know they have had 10000 sales if you only see 3000 ? Thats my point 7000 sales will go un-noticed.

Message 45 of 49
Latest reply

@greatproductstoday wrote:

Thanks

Yes but how would you know they have had 10000 sales if you only see 3000 ? Thats my point 7000 sales will go un-noticed.

The 7000 sales will not go un-noticed in the sellers kick.

Message 46 of 49
Latest reply

But I don't care whether they've had 10,000 or 3,000 sales or even 30 sales - that's not the criterion I use to evaluate a seller.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 47 of 49
Latest reply

Thanks

As others have said, what does it matter? They don't go unnoticed by the seller, or their bank.

Once you have enough feedback to show you are a good seller, you only need a few hundred per year to offset any negatives.

I suspect your issue is with your low selling feedback. Which we all had when we started selling, and sweated on every green dot. But that doesn't mean eBay will change their systems to suit you, for all of the reasons you have already been given, so you could probably better use your energy to provide good customer service.

Message 48 of 49
Latest reply

Thanks

On eBay, right now the best way for a buyer to get at least an approximate figure for total number of sales is to check the feedback left for others tab, at least if they are the type of seller to leave FB for a buyer regardless of whether a buyer leaves it for them.

Case in point, on my selling account, I have a FB score of less than 20k. If you click the "feedback received as a seller" tab, it shows I've actually received just over 25k. then if you switch over to "Left for others", it's a bit shy of 50k (a couple hundred of which are for sellers). 

This at least implies, if not outright indicates, a few things - many buyers don't leave FB, I sell a decent amount of multiple-item orders, and I've sold more than 3 times as much stuff as my humbler FB score would first suggest.

It's all kinda by the by in the grand scheme of things, though - the vast majority of buyers don't look much past the item title, description, and percentage next to the seller's name. 

Message 49 of 49
Latest reply